• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot and Restons, CCJ, setaside, claim still live

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot and Restons, CCJ, setaside, claim still live

Hi all,

Bit of a long-winded one here so to give a brief timeline and overview:

Sept 2016 - following a work related query, my wife discovers she has a CCJ awared sometime in late 2014. She knows nothing about this and the only info we have is the claim number from her credit file.

+ 7days - submit form to County Court applying to have it set-aside as we know nothing about it.

Between then and Feb 2017 - turns out this is Cabot and their solicitors Restons. Debt is related to a credit card taken out in 2002 and defaulted in 2003. Cabot bought it sometime in either 2003 or 2004. They claim to have received payments in 2009. They took my wife to court in her maiden name but at our previous address a few months after we moved in 2014. We had mail forwarding but it's based on surname so was never forwarded. Court awarded in claimaints favour and eventually went to CCJ.

Feb 2017 - Court ruled in our favour and CCJ was set-aside on the basis that the time for them to start court proceedings in 2014 made it too likely we'd have moved etc. Claim is still live and court directs my wife to file a defence within 14 days.

Defence is filed on the basis that she simply doesn't know anything about it (this is the truth!) and no paperwork had been provided to date (and indeed they refused) but see below. The first credit card she ever had was after she married me (well after 2003!). My wife has a completely spotless credit file (as do I) now this CCJ is removed.

We've requested documentation from Restons including the original credit agreement and details of the payments they said they've received including the bank accounts it came from. The only information we have on payments is a print out from their own systems which shows an opening balance, some fees added on, interest added on and then a small number of payments received in 2009. We've asked for a proper breakdown of the fees, the mysterious opening balance etc to see if that will shed any light.

We've just received, in response to her defence and allocation questionnaire, a reconstituted credit agreement (which has her correct address on it from 2002) and a handful of letters from 2014 to our old address after we moved. The reconstituted credit agreement contains details of how to pay and APR but for the credit limit it just says "you'll be advised separetely" and that she can refuse any increases. She has never had any banking relationship with the bank listed on the credit agreement. They've also offered us to make a settlement offer if we wish.

Presumably if we don't we are off to court. They have a few letters from 2014 trying to contact her in her maiden name, the recon'd credit agreement as detailed above and a printout from their systems showing they received payments in 2009. No communication from 2002 to 2014 has been provided at all (except the recon'd agreement obviously). We've still not seen the actual original claim form from when they first filed their claim!

She has no knowledge of the credit agreement and obviously she didn't make any payments in 2009. We obviously no longer have any bank statements from 2009 and she no longer has her current account with the same bank anyway (she changed banks in roughly 2012). But apart from that we find ourselves in a situation of trying to prove a negative against a recon'd credit agreement. All we can do is come across as credible (we're both full time employed professionals with good incomes, spotless credit files and I'm also a JP if that'll help with credibility).

The amount of money they are claiming isn't huge but it's enough to be painful for us to pay if we have to. I'm concerned that if we defend on the above basis and if we lose we won't be able to dispute the amount because that mysterious "opening balance" could be a myriad of sky high bank fees and goodness knows what else.

Any advice gratefully received as to how best to proceed!
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot and Restons, CCJ, setaside, claim still live

You say you've asked for the credit agreement. Did you do this by sending a formal s.77-79 CCA Request with the £1 statutory fee?

If not then do that now asap. The forum has a template letter here > http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...=7670#post7670

You send it to Cabot with a copy to Restons solicitors. Do both by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery.

Unless or until they comply with your CCA Request the debt becomes unenforceable in court. Restons will know that.

Even though they've sent you a recon in response/reaction to your Defence. You need to protect your legal position by sending the formal statutory request with the £1 fee.

Di

Comment

Hi Di,

No the request was made of Restons during the run up to the set aside hearing. It was just a letter detailing a request for several bits of paperwork supporting their claim, one of which was the credit agreement.

Are you saying the reconstituted one they've supplied isn't sufficient?

Will making this request be seen as an indirect acknowledgement of the debt's validity?

Thanks for the quick response btw!

Comment

Originally posted by dawmdt View Post
        No the request was made of Restons during the run up to the set aside hearing. It was just a letter detailing a request for several bits of paperwork supporting their claim, one of which was the credit agreement.

Are you saying the reconstituted one they've supplied isn't sufficient?

Will making this request be seen as an indirect acknowledgement of the debt's validity?
        What I'm saying is the "request" you made for the credit agreed doesn't give you the legal protection which you get from a formal s.77-79 CCA Request. That's why I'm advising you to send one now.

They'll probably send you the same as they sent you before but that makes no difference. You need to send your formal CCA Request plus £1 fee to Cabot (the debt owner) with a copy of it to Restons (the solicitors).

Sending the request does not mean you admit liability for the debt.

I have no idea whether the recon they sent you passes the test because I haven't seen it

Did you ask Restons for the Default Notice in that previous letter?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
          What I'm saying is the "request" you made for the credit agreed doesn't give you the legal protection which you get from a formal s.77-79 CCA Request. That's why I'm advising you to send one now.

They'll probably send you the same as they sent you before but that makes no difference. You need to send your formal CCA Request plus £1 fee to Cabot (the debt owner) with a copy of it to Restons (the solicitors).

Sending the request does not mean you admit liability for the debt.

I have no idea whether the recon they sent you passes the test because I haven't seen it

Did you ask Restons for the Default Notice in that previous letter?

Di
          No, we've asked for the credit agreement, the letter assigning the debt to Cabot, the original claim, a full breakdown of the amount being claimed (including the mysterious opening balance), details of the payments they think they've received (including the bank account they came from) and an explanation as to why they took so long to start proceedings (as this just seems to maximise their court allowed interest). On that latter point, the judge at the set-aside hearing asked the same question and their advocate "had not received any instructions on that"...

All we've received is as specified in my first post. The advocate at the hearing said it went into default in 2003. We've not had any paperwork dated pre-2014.

I was considering sending them a letter to reiterate the information not yet provided... perhaps I should the default notice to the list?

When I send the CCA request I'll change the wording from "my" credit agreement to "the" because my wife doesn't recognise it as something she's signed up to... I presume no issues with that?

Cheers!
          Last edited by dawmdt; 27th March 2017, 13:20:PM.

Comment

Would you be able to post a copy of your defence at all ? Also who is the bank ? Have Restons/Cabot said it is definately a credit card (sounds like it from your description of the credit agreement recon they have sent you)

Issues you have to defend on ;

a) don't recognise the bank/creditor at all, never had a credit card before 2003/4 and dispute whether this account ever actually existed.

b) Statute Barred - even if you DID have the credit (which is denied) in 2003 you've had no contact between then and the CCJ date - it was statute barred at that point - just these payments in 2009 and if you have pleaded time barred under the limitations act then the onus is on them to evidence those payments were from you.

To help your case if you think Cabot will proceed, it might be worth investing a couple of £10 notes and requesting a full subject access request under the data protection act from the original creditor, and also requesting transaction lists from the bank account from the relevant time ( 2009 ?) or even enquiring with that old bank whether you can get copies of statements for the specific months where Cabot claim payments were made.

And definately send a formal CCA request with the £1. just call it 'the' credit agreement is fine.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              Would you be able to post a copy of your defence at all ? Also who is the bank ? Have Restons/Cabot said it is definately a credit card (sounds like it from your description of the credit agreement recon they have sent you).
              Yes it is apparently a credit card.

They advised originally the original creditor was "People's Bank" but the credit agreement is with "Citibank International" - wife has no knowledge of any previous banking relationship with either entity.

Defence is as follows (note this was filed before that credit agreement was supplied):

I do not acknowledge this debt or have any knowledge of it. I have never received any correspondance regarding this claim until I began my successful application to set-aside the CCJ registered against me for it.
              I have never heard of "People's Bank" nor has any search of Google or Company's House provided any further information on who this organisation is.
              I have previously requested from the Claimant (on (day redacted) December 2016) details of the debt including:
              1) Evidence of the debt existing at all, along with full details of said debt
              2) A copy of the original signed and dated agreement between the debtor and People's Bank, if it exists at all, including the terms and conditions that were in force at the time. During the recent hearing to set-aside the CCJ, the defendant's legal representative stated that her client had advised that they did not have this.
              3) Details of the assignment of rights of People's Bank to the Claimant including the actual agreement between the Claimant and People's Bank specifically assigning the rights to the account and the alleged communication to the debtor advising this assignment had occurred.
              4) Full details of the claim made - it should be noted that this Defence is made without sight of the original claim made to the court, although it's possible sufficient details have been derived from correspondance with the Claimant's solicitors throughout the successful application to set-aside the CCJ.
              5) A full breakdown of the amount claimed including alleged principal, subsequent interest, fees, costs etc.
              6) Further details of the payments they claim to have received already including the bank account the payments came from - this would help me in investigating further as I do not have any 8 year old bank statements.
              7) I also enquired in the same letter as to why it took 5 years from when they claim they last received a payment in 2009 to begin court proceedings. Not only has this made it very difficult for me to research into their claim but it has also maximised the amount of court permitted interest they can apply to their claim and I believe they have a general duty to minimise their losses before making a claim, whoever the debtor might be. Although my letters have been replied to, no response has been received to the above requests except on 19th January 2017 when they stated "we are under no obligation to provide you with the documentation you have requested".

I believe this to be incorrect for two reasons

a) The information provided so far does not show that the debt even exists, that they have any standing to claim on the alleged debt or that they are pursuing the right person for this debt. Any name and address could be placed on the computer print-outs they have provided so far and a claim made! At the time they have alleged the credit agreement was in place (2002-2003) I was not even living in this part of the country, let alone the address in (redacted) they began their claim at. I also do not believe I had a credit card at that time and indeed did not receive my first credit card until approximately five years ago, with my current bank.
              b) The Claimant is part of a professional trade association called The Credit Services Association. Their Code of Practice clearly states – “Where a debt or the sum owed is disputed, as soon as is practicable, supply information to the debtor in support of the claim. Where no information has been supplied by the creditor, obtain the required support, or failing that cease collection action”. This they have failed to do – they are not even following their own industries guidelines of professional conduct.

I respectfully request that the court make a direction for the Claimant to supply the details requested above (items 1 to 7) in advance of any court hearing taking place – they have had sufficient opportunities over the last few months, since my successful application to set-aside the CCJ was started, to provide this information so they can demonstrate the debt exists and to help me understand exactly what it is they are claiming against me as I do not know what this is. As things stand they are currently requesting that I pay them a significant amount of money for something I know nothing about and their conduct is not helping us to reach a conclusion (as well as being unprofessional as per (b) above).
              I manage my financial affairs properly and have always informed all genuine creditors of any change of address. As evidence of this I enclose a copy of my credit record from 26th December 2016. This shows all accounts are up to date or settled and all live credit accounts are at my current address in (redacted). I understand that a credit record covers six years and as the court can see there are ZERO missed payments on the credit record and only a single late payment in April 2013 (on page 3) where I was away on holiday with my husband and was an unfortunate oversight on my part. The only significant blemish on this credit record, was the previous CCJ related to the claim, which this court has since set-aside.
              I also enclose for the court copies of all correspondence between myself and the Claimant’s solicitors to date. I also enclose a copy of the original N244 application to set-aside the CCJ as that may be of interest to the court.
              This Defence has been made as per the direction of (redacted) County Court on (day redacted)/02/2017 following the CCJ relating to this claim being set-aside. A copy of this defence has been sent to the Claimant’s solicitors (Reston’s Solicitors in Warrington) as directed.
              Many thanks for your advice - we will pursue the queries you have recommended over the weekend.

A previous poster recommended we also request the original default notice - is this important for us to have?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X