• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Secondary card holder ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary card holder ??

Hi guys got good help from here before so i thought id pick your brains again,

so........

the story starts a few years back where my partner and myself went to get a joint current account together, we went to Halifax bank and inquired about a joint account, we sort of knew the man who looked into opening the account for us as he lives in the same area as ourselves so he really did try and help us opening this account.
    he tried for a joint account and it gave us an opportunity of an overdraft facility of £100-£150 ish and we thought the more we had available as an overdraft would be better as a (just in case) precaution, so he help us round things and mentioned it could have been my credit score not hers that is affecting it so he mentioned he would try her with a sole account and i would go as a secondary card holder, the result of that gave us a £1500 overdraft facility, so we went for that option and i transferred everything across, wages, DD's etc........
    the months passed and my partner became quite ill in pregnancy and her job wouldn't pay her sick pay, she was off quite regularly but she was still spending on her card as if she was still being paid her regular wage and started eating into this overdraft, we were both paid weekly and my wages were being swallowed in this every time i was paid, she had another account with lloyds bank so used that too for other things and transferred some money (weekly) across before we were hit with charges (i did not have another account) so i had to leave too as my dissapearing wages could have left us homeless!!.
    the account went into default and we were receiving letters from Halifax chasing us (BOTH) for the debt of over £1800 she had set up a payment plan with them and took the debt down to £1400ish and i tried stopping them from chasing me as it was showing on both of our credit files and affecting my credit which i had been trying soooo hard to pay off and get into good credit, The woman at Halifax understood my problem but herself could not change it for me personally and even told me at the end of the phone call to let it run its course and leave it to get statute barred, it defaulted back in 2012 but partner had been paying bits off for a year or so and now were getting chased as Halifax had sold it on to Cabot financial who have instructed a solicitor to start the process for a CCJ,
    Sooooo..... can they actually chase me for the debt ? as i was only a secondary card holder and never remember signing anything at Halifax when opening the account ? plus they've not took my credit status into account so we can have the higher overdraft.
    also can they chase and destroy the credit history of 2 people for 1 debt ??
    I will help her pay it off but could do without a CCJ on my credit file as my credit is needed for a lot of things at the house.

Sorry for the essay....

any help is much appreciated

thank you
    Paul
    Last edited by Husdellp; 27th March 2017, 02:58:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Secondary card holder ??

I have never heard of a current account with a secondary card. I think you have a joint account. In which case it will show on both your credit records.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X