• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

lizzyann13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lizzyann13

I have problems with benefit overpayment but a long story. It goes back for many years now as they say they can go back as far as they want. All my benefits have been stopped including the carers allowance. I have a letter from Equita saying they will be calling.
    I dispute the debt. I have employed a advisor and a mitigation with as much proof as I could find.was sent to the DWP. in Jan 2017
    I have not heard anything yet.
    I am on a state pension and am disabled and getting PIP after going to appeal as I was on a lifetime award due to a serious injury.
    I was taken to court for a liability order last year I was having Hospiital treatment and asked the council if i could attend on another date. They agreed on the phone but went ahead while i was in Hospital even though they knew I could not attend. I had rang the court explaining my medical issues as i go to the pain relief clinic as that is all that is left to me now as I am already on morphine.
    They were fine with it. I got a letter the next week informing me of the liability order, of course i could not get to the court and the council knew that..
    I got my Stepchange folder and sent that twice to the council. I asked if they had it and they said they had. It shows my outgoings are more than my income. They will not accept it.
    I have been paying full rent and council tax for almost a year from my award I had made to me and the DWP has estimated me as having over the savings limit which has lead me to all this. I did not save the money awarded by the judge.
    I will run out of money soon and wont be able to carry on paying the rent and council tax much longer as the pension does not cover it.
    I feel I am,not been treated very well and the way i have been spoken to by the council has made it so i write in stead as they do not keep their word. They have made accusations on the phone to me that have been very distressing after working all these years and ending up in debt.,
    This is all costing more and more and i was charged the £75 (more than half my income) for been 2 days late even though i brought the account up to date. I now see how easy it is to become homeless.
    Thanks for any advice, I have read your threads and i see it is a big problem for a lot of people.
    Tags: None

Re: lizzyann13

who is the advisor you have employed?

Apart from alledged benefit overpayments and council tax arrears, what other debts do you have with StepChange? How much are you paying them a month for a DMP?

Comment

Nothing as my offer was refused by the council as they wanted £100 a month and i am on a state pension and have to pay full rent and council tax while awaiting results of appeal.
      They refused an IVA also i am on a low income so i would have had trouble keeping it up. It was Hylton Potts. all sent in in january.

Comment

Thank you for taking time to reply Debt Camel

Comment

I suggest you go to your local Citizens Advice. No need to pay someone for this sort of benefits help.

You could aslo talk to Citizens Advice about a debt relief order and other options for your debts - an IVA would be a very poor idea, bankruotcy or a DRO would be better. But these probably have to wait until it is clear what benefits you should be receiving.

Comment

thank you for the advice. The CAB is closed around this area. We have community law who I will try. Agree about benefits. They were helpful with my DLA to PIP.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X