• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Distance Learning Online Course Cancellation within 14 days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance Learning Online Course Cancellation within 14 days

Hi

I would really appreciate some advice from people who know a bit more about consumer rights than I do

I signed up for a distance learning course from Open Study College based on the great reviews on Trust Pilot...

I went through the finance option of paying £59 up front and £42 per month for 10 months...

The day after I received the course I realised that it wasn't for me and I had only read through chapter 1 where it lists what sort of person is suitable for that type of work and I thought no it's definitely not me!

Okay, I'll be honest... It was a private detective course and after thinking about it I thought I am not and never will be any kind of 007 agent

I called Open Study College and explained it wasn't for me and they asked whether there would be any other course I would be interested so I looked and verbally agreed to an HTML / CSS course as this was more me... In order to change courses there was a £25 administration charge which I paid.

After coming off the telephone, I decided to use good old googled the course to see if I could find anymore info and I came across the Distance Learning Centre who were selling the same course for £225 instead of £489 so with that I emailed Open Study College to cancel the order (bearing in mind I had not even received confirmation of the order for the new course) They have emailed me today to advise that I am unable to cancel the course as it has since been sent to me. I haven't accessed the course and have no intention of doing so.

They went on to say in their email that I was verbally advised that I couldn't cancel the course but this is not entirely correct - what the advisor told me on the telephone is that I wouldn't be able to change to another course once they placed the order for this one.

They went on to say they could price match the course for £350 which isn't a price match but they have asked me to call them to make a payment which I won't be doing.

I have two issues here...

1) Am I legally tied into paying for a course that I have not accessed even though I am within the cooling off period and does what Open Study College claim they told me on the telephone about being unable to change the course again go over and above my consumer rights?

2) Am I able to claim any of my costs back within the cooling off period - for example the £59 I paid to enroll or the £25 course transfer charge or even both?

To be totally honest - I am happy to cut my losses but its the fact that they are being so difficult that I am prepared to try and claim back whatever I can.

The terms and conditions of sale are here:
    http://osc-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/osc...itions-of-sale

Apologies for all of the waffle and I hope someone somewhere can shed some light on this

Thanks for reading!

Rory
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X