• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BW Legal/Lowell portfolio 1 Ltd/Capital One (Europe) Ltd and me DavidN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BW Legal/Lowell portfolio 1 Ltd/Capital One (Europe) Ltd and me DavidN

Hi Di, I received the DQ which has to be filed by Tuesday the 20th, also a copy of the claimants DQ that they have filed already, stating that they will accept the mediation service.

I have copied the terms and conditions which I'm attaching here for your perusal and also I have found a discrepancy in the information originally supplied to the court and referenced on all communications with the claim and letters from BW (they have the issued the claim stating that the original account number is as they've stated, however, the number is incorrect by 1 digit, will this have any relevance to my defence, i'e. I can not acknowledge that account number as it is wrong) Please see documents supplied.

I have to post the DQ back to the courts and BW (Copy) tomorrow to ensure that I meet the deadline, your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
    David N

Original T's and C's 3pages.pdfAmended T's and C's 2 pages.pdfClaim from BW Legal.pdf

Comment

Hi DavidN

I'll give [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] a nudge for you.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated please.

Comment

DQ's are pretty basic.

You will tick agree to mediation and also include any dates you know of where you will not be available. You do not need to justify why. When my DQ was completed I blanked out a 4 week period because I knew I had an exam on a day in that period but didn't know when , I also included a weeks holiday although just the dates were given not the reason.

After the DQ it will likely go to mediation and if not settled there be allocated to your local court . At some point you will need to file a witness statement but that is when the details need going through

Comment

You might be able to argue that the wrong number is important but I suspect a judge would claim the was not really relevant and just a typo . I am not saying I agree with that , just what I think a judge would say. After all, for a judge the sum is chicken feed and while some judges are aware of what the real world is like for real people, some are not.

I think if the numbers were substantially different there may be a better argument.

Have you had your SAR back from Capital One yet? Did it include statements?

If not I would write back and say you require copies of all statements , an example I saw recently showed at some point the account number had been changed completely , not sure why, that may be very relevant

Comment

Hi warwick65, thank you for your response.

I have the SAR from Capital One (Europe) Ltd and yes it does include the statements of the account.

I still have had no paperwork from either BW Legal or Lowell as requested.

My concern is that to accept mediation may hamper my claim that the account number referred to is actually not my account number and therefore the information that BW Legal or Lowell have is incorrect. If this is the case I would expect this to work in my favour during a hearing as opposed to trying to achieve an out of court settlement via mediation. To raise this point during mediation would in fact highlight the issue to BW Legal and potentially weaken my argument regarding the lack of correct information held by the claimant.

I am quickly running out of time to consider this issue as I need to post my DQ at the latest tomorrow.

Kind regards
              DavidN

Comment

mediation will ask have you the necessary paperwork to continue the case, you say no if still not received the info from them, then they will state unsuitable for mediation and pass back to the courts, in most cases show willing to mediation as it is expected to show that unecessary court time may not be wasted, no paperwork then that is it no mediation can take place and they will as stated.

Comment

Thanks MIKE770, I will, in that case, tick that I agree to mediation and take it from there.

Kind regards
                  DavidN

Comment

there is no harm in agreeing to mediation on the DQ and all mediation is confidential and will not be used in court.

I know it is 1 digit out and while I agree with you technically , it is quite possible the judge will just tell them to go away and amend their claim . Judges , I think, look on us as DDD - Dirty Debt Dodgers rather than people who are standing up for their rights

I am on your side BTW , I would personally like to see all debt purchasers out of business as I think it is a reprehensible way to make money
                    [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] [MENTION=7765]Joanna C[/MENTION] [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION]

What are your thoughts on a one digit difference

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
                      there is no harm in agreeing to mediation on the DQ and all mediation is confidential and will not be used in court.

I know it is 1 digit out and while I agree with you technically , it is quite possible the judge will just tell them to go away and amend their claim . Judges , I think, look on us as DDD - Dirty Debt Dodgers rather than people who are standing up for their rights

I am on your side BTW , I would personally like to see all debt purchasers out of business as I think it is a reprehensible way to make money
                      @Diana M @pt2537 @Joanna C @Amethyst @charitynjw

What are your thoughts on a one digit difference
                      My thought would be, has it prejudiced the Defendant, & if so how (Was it significant).
                      For instance, if it prevented the defendant from obtaining data via a SAR.
                      But as you imply, you're in the lap of the gods......well, the judge, anyway!
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                        I am quickly running out of time to consider this issue as I need to post my DQ at the latest tomorrow.
                        Kind regards
                        DavidN
                        Thank you for your PM.

This forum's site rules prevent me from replying by PM.

Nevertheless I wish you well with your claim

Di

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                          Hi warwick65, thank you for your response.

I have the SAR from Capital One (Europe) Ltd and yes it does include the statements of the account.

I still have had no paperwork from either BW Legal or Lowell as requested.

My concern is that to accept mediation may hamper my claim that the account number referred to is actually not my account number and therefore the information that BW Legal or Lowell have is incorrect. If this is the case I would expect this to work in my favour during a hearing as opposed to trying to achieve an out of court settlement via mediation. To raise this point during mediation would in fact highlight the issue to BW Legal and potentially weaken my argument regarding the lack of correct information held by the claimant.

Kind regards
                          DavidN

Hi

Sorry ive been away for a few days as my son had an operation last week.

The question of mediation often causes confusion, anything that is said in mediation is without prejudice, it cannot be used against you and should not be seen as a sign of weakness.

Mediation is a chance to explore whether there is a commercially viable settlement that can be achieved between the parties, afterall, if a deal can be done whereby you remove the risk of adverse costs and walk away with favourable terms then mediation may be worth exploring.

Also, an unreasonable refusal to mediate can leave you with cost sanctions being imposed on you see PGF II SA v OMFS Company 1 Ltd [2013] EWCA Civ 1288 http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2013/1288.html

Im hoping you got the DQ off ok, but if you do need any further assistance holler and someone will pop along
                          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thank you pt, your response is much appreciated. I did get the DQ to the court by the 20th of June okay, and BW Legal got theirs in on the 21st, the day after the deadline. I'm waiting for the mediation service to contact me to make an appointment and I still haven't heard a word from Lowells or BW Legal with any paperwork.
                            If I haven't got the paperwork by the time of the mediation meeting, all I can do is say I have no paperwork to work with and therefore am unable to form a suitable defence. What else can I do?

Comment

If nothing is forthcoming you could make a very low offer in the hope they accept and it all goes away.

I mean 5 to 10% from your strong hand of no paperwork but that might be the end of it. On the other hand you could say you can't mediation because they havent produced and see what happens. Theoretically you could apply to forget them to produce but unless you get fee religion that costs £255 which is a lot of money gor a relativrly small debt.

Its about what is best for you

Comment

As the disputed sum in this claim is £754 you have no need to be concerned over any cost sanctions against you if you don't agree to Mediation.

This case is in the Small Claims Track where I doubt any request for 'unreasonable' costs would be entertained by a DJ who wouldn't know why Mediation failed or which party caused the failure.

In fact the boot could be on the other foot if the court decided that the Claimant had proceeded to court without producing the documentation needed.

Make up your own mind how you want to handle the situation, and if you choose Mediation then use it as an opportunity to bargain hard if no paperwork has been forthcoming. You have an hour to negotiate so no need to go in on the defensive

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X