Thread: Council tax enforcement - Rundles

• Display

Mentions
    0 Post(s)

Default Council tax enforcement - Rundles

Good afternoon,

Yesterday I was visited at my current address by a man claiming to be a high court sheriff, acting on behalf of LB Camden to recover a council tax debt on a property I left around 9 months ago.

The property I was renting was a one bed flat, from a friend of a friend, who rented it to me via a verbal agreement, for an all-inclusive rent (Council Tax included), with the exception of Gas which was on a key meter. The Bailiff/Sheriff said that this bill was in both mine and my landlords name, firstly, I have never received any communication from LB Camden in respect of this bill, secondly I never signed nor put my name on any bill and my landlord wasn't living at the property at the time of my residence. I have since found out after a bit of digging that my landlord was in fact subletting his council/housing assoc property, something I was unaware of at the time. The bailiff company hadnt informed me of their impending visit yesterday, the bailiff/sheriff couldn't even tell me which court had ruled that I was liable for this bill and has told me I have until his next visit (Weds 22/3/17) to pay in full, or they will remove goods to the total of the debt. I am unsure as to why they aren't chasing the "landlord" as my name definitely wouldn't have been on any tenancy agreement he has/had with LB Camden or whichever Housing Assoc he's with? Any ideas as to how I can get this turned over? Thanks in advance

VIP Member

Mentions
    95 Post(s)

Default Re: Council tax enforcement - Rundles

First off this has nothing to do with any High Court action.

To get to this stage the Council must have obtained a Liability Order against you. Initially you need to contact the Council to find out all the details of this and until such time as it can be unravelled should ask they put a halt on enforcement.

Mentions
    22 Post(s)

Default Re: Council tax enforcement - Rundles

Quote Originally Posted by ploddertom View Post
    First off this has nothing to do with any High Court action.

To get to this stage the Council must have obtained a Liability Order against you. Initially you need to contact the Council to find out all the details of this and until such time as it can be unravelled should ask they put a halt on enforcement.
    It's a duplicate of this post http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...ht=council+tax