• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty Car - Consumer Rights Act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Faulty Car - Consumer Rights Act

Thanks des8.

For the avoidance of doubt, I would like to clarify. The trader is a slippery character. We did a land registry check and the house is in his wife's name.

Happened to end up watching, "Can't Pay! We'll take it away" last night and that gave me some hope for his situation because the HCE Officers were going to take possessions belonging to a lad's girlfriend because of a writ. They didn't in the end but it seems they can take anything belonging to anyone if that person cannot prove they are the owner so...

We believe he lives at the address I have found because I spoke to a relative of his and she said contact his wife on FaceBook. His VAT number (which I found online) is also registered to this address. So if I put all the information in the witness statement (because there is not enough space on the Particulars of Claim and I'd doubt that is the place to put it), would the court upon obtaining a judgment send officers around if the trader doesn't pay up.

Also, with current court workload, this case will probably not be heard until September / October if we file this week. I suppose the best thing that could happen is that he doesn't acknowledge service?

Comment

The court don't send officers round if no payment received, it's up to you to arrange it. Local court bailiffs or if a sufficiently high sum the High court lot, again on a recoverable fee.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        The court don't send officers round if no payment received, it's up to you to arrange it. Local court bailiffs or if a sufficiently high sum the High court lot, again on a recoverable fee.
        I appreciate that Ostell. I think it costs £66 but that is up to my friend to decide once it gets that far. His main concern is that this guy is very slippery. Will it be worth it? I suppose one could argue that there is no certainty in life.

The other main point I was asking was whether or not he should get the car diagnosed and pay for that and have it repaired to get it on the road. In that case, if we have already filed court claim, can it simply be revised without cost? If not, how would you suggest going about suitable Particulars of Claim i.e. how can we keep it open to allow the judge to decide in either situation?

Comment

IMO there is no point obtaining a third party opinion about the car.
          The vehicle was rejected after the first thirty days as it was faulty.
          THe trader should have recovered the vehicle and examined it.
          It is for him to prove there was no fault when the vehicle was purchased.
          Assuming it was faulty he has one chance to repair the vehicle.
          As he has failed to take advantage of thatrequested repair, the claimant can now obtain a refund
          CRA 2015 sec 24 (5) (attached below)

And he could have the car repaired, and then claiim a refund or damages from the trader (CRA 2015 sec 20)

But he needs to make up his mind as to which way to go before he starts court action (and I believe you have already issued an LBA?)

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            IMO there is no point obtaining a third party opinion about the car.
            The vehicle was rejected after the first thirty days as it was faulty.
            THe trader should have recovered the vehicle and examined it.
            It is for him to prove there was no fault when the vehicle was purchased.
            Assuming it was faulty he has one chance to repair the vehicle.
            As he has failed to take advantage of thatrequested repair, the claimant can now obtain a refund
            CRA 2015 sec 24 (5) (attached below)

And he could have the car repaired, and then claiim a refund or damages from the trader (CRA 2015 sec 20)

But he needs to make up his mind as to which way to go before he starts court action (and I believe you have already issued an LBA?)
            THat will be fun trying to get my friend to make up his mind. He's as indecisive as me!

Yes LBA was issued to the address from where he purchased the vehicle. As of 2 weeks ago i.e. about 2 weeks after the final letter, the original trader's signage was still up. I think I will get my friend to nip around and get a timestamped photo of that also.

As stated, the alleged new owner wrote to my friend and said he was the new owner and that the previous owner had left.

Technically, I shouldn't need to re-issue these letters to the trader's home addres should I?

Also, friend texted me the other day to say he noticed the trader and his wife are still together according to FaceBook even though he has not been registered at that home address for 5 years!

Comment

Technically, I shouldn't need to re-issue these letters to the trader's home addres should I?

I certainly wouldn't bother!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X