• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

£100 Parking Charge for incorrect VRN entry while buying 50p parking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £100 Parking Charge for incorrect VRN entry while buying 50p parking

This is a very simple case of an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number (VRN) being entered by mistake. Parking was paid for in full (50p). Even though the mistake is genuine, easily verifiable, and not in dispute, the parking management company in question Civil Enforcement Ltd are pressing for a £100 penalty charge. My appeal has been rejected by both CE and POPLA.

The facts are not in dispute and the attached short document (16 pages) tells the story and lists on the last page my possible points of defence.

My key questions are:

Q1. Are any of my points of defence legally valid or not tested in court?

Q2. What do I need to do to this document to make it into a court defence?

Q3. Do I have any chance in court?

Q4. What will it likely cost me if I lose?

Any and all advice very gratefully received.

Thanks in Advance
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: £100 Parking Charge for incorrect VRN entry while buying 50p parking

Q1. Are any of my points of defence legally valid or not tested in court?

The lack of signs would be the strongest point.

Q2. What do I need to do to this document to make it into a court defence?

Take out all the ranting and baseless allegations. Stick to the facts and point where you have a chance.

Q3. Do I have any chance in court?

I would say so.

Q4. What will it likely cost me if I lose?

Provided you behaved reasonably, not much in excess of £200 in total.

I would certainly get photos of the signs too, to see what they say.

M1

Comment

@mystery1, perhaps an alternative defence of de minimis? It the registration entered was a mistake after believing to be input correctly, then it is a technical breach of contract but generally, the contract was essentially fulfilled in that the OP paid for the parking, but also if 1 digit incorrectly input, then that is a genuine mistake and if the sole basis of the claim is that they failed to input the correct registration, arguably the de minimis rule could apply.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
        @mystery1, perhaps an alternative defence of de minimis? It the registration entered was a mistake after believing to be input correctly, then it is a technical breach of contract but generally, the contract was essentially fulfilled in that the OP paid for the parking, but also if 1 digit incorrectly input, then that is a genuine mistake and if the sole basis of the claim is that they failed to input the correct registration, arguably the de minimis rule could apply.
        Certainly worth including.

M1

Comment

OK so I have looked up 'the de minimis rule' as best I can, but I don't understand how I would build a claim that it applies in this case.

I am also a little surprised that they can legally both take my money for parking and charge a penalty.

Surely ParkingEye v Beavis does not give the parking industry blanket ability to charge for anything they hide in their small print? There must still be a reasonableness test and a justifiable test? What if they said I had to dance naked while buying my ticket (or pay £100)? Ha ha

Comment

The entering of an incorrect registration, it could be argued, is such a small and insignificant matter, that the court should not deal with it.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X