• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

caught shoplifting and given a police caution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caught shoplifting and given a police caution

Hi everyone,

Was caught yesterday for shoplifting at Debenhams, was given a police caution and not to enter the shop again. I have not done anything like this before, I am 65 and worried that they might come to my home and then my husband will find out.
    Tags: None

Re: caught shoplifting and given a police causion

THey have no reason to come to your home. Are you sure it was the police handling this?

You may get letters asking you for money to cover their costs. ignore those letters.

Comment

Yes they called the police, the store said it did not want to press charges for £15.00. I signed a letter regarding a caution and was sent on my way

Comment

Hi and welcome.
        As [MENTION=39331]ostell[/MENTION] the police will not come knocking. They are finished with the incident..

However you are almost bound to receive a letter from a firm called Retail Loss Prevention, requesting a payment of about £150 to cover their costs.
        You are strongly advised to ignore this letter, as there were no extra costs to Debenhams.
        They will send a series of ever increasingly threatening letters, some with big scary red writing, which you should continue to ignore.
        THey will eventually cease.
        Do not be tempted to contact them, as this only encourages them.
        If you search on this site for Retail Loss Prevention you'll find lots of people who have been in your situation.

I don't know your personal situation, but you may find it less stressful to discuss the incident with your husband, rather than hiding it from him.
        We don't know your circumstances, or why you acted as you did.
        It could be age related, or because your are on particular medication or something else.
        However, as a first time attempt at your age, I'm sure there must be some extenuating circumstance, and I would hope you would receive support from your family, not condemnation.

You are welcomed to return here any time for support and advice if you want it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X