• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disclosing a caution to employer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disclosing a caution to employer

Hi

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have just received a simple caution for attempting to import a class c drug.

This was diazepam via post from Pakistan and I work in a notifiable profession- so my employer will be informed. I'm wondering how long this can take?

Obviously I want to disclose this to my employer before they receive notification but want to do so in the most diplomatic way.

I'm wondering what information will be sent, i.e. Will it be just name of offence and date or will it be very detailed...such as method and country I imported it from? Basically - all of the information.

Thanks

JJ
    Tags: None

Re: Disclosing a caution to employer

If it were me then I'd probably raise it "informally" with my immediate line manager, and then take their advice as to what happens next.

From what I remember of using it, the NMC website does not give a huge amount of information about cautions entered against a nurse's professional registration. Just date and generic term for the offence.
    Not assuming that you are a nurse, but that's the one that I have personal experience of, I imagine that other professions have similar systems.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=99105]JaneyJones[/MENTION], I'm sorry but I do not know how long it will take for your employer to be notified of your caution or how detailed the information will be. However, in respect of what you need to do then I suggest that you should speak to your employer as soon as possible and therefore you should arrange a meeting with your line manager in the first instance. They may just ask some basic information first as they may not have handled such a situation before and then they may seek advice from an HR person. This may then result in you being asked for further information.

I presume that as you are in a notifiable profession a CRB check was carried out when you joined your employer - was this a standard or enhanced check? Depending on which one it was may provide a guide as to what level of information they may require you to give them regardless of what they have been notified of by the police.

Honesty is always be the best policy (however difficult the situation is) and if they do want to know all the details, even if this has not been by the police, then you would be best advised to provide it to them. Bear in mind if you do not give it to them they can always request that you consent to a further CRB check for which they may choose the enhanced type, which could show any information that the police have which they feel is relevant to the job you are doing which may provide all the details.

I hope this helps.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi

Yes I had an enhanced dbs completed prior to starting my employment. This is my first and only contact with the police. I have already self-notified the HCPC about this as they'd get to know anyway. But yes, honesty seems the best and basically biting the bullet I suppose instead of trying to minimise it.

I had queried timescales as I do have annual leave so may not have a job to come back to! I am still in my probationary period in thIs post so it's likely I'll just be dismissed.

Thanks for advising though

J

Comment

If you are on annual leave currently are you out of the country or just on holiday at home?

Just as an option then maybe an email into your line manager to let them know the basics of what has happened and then offer, if you are at home and feel you want to, that you would be ok to come in from holiday for a meeting but if you are away to say that you will obviously make a meeting on your return to discuss the matter in more detail.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

No not on leave yet. In next week then out of the country for three weeks.

I think just speaking to my manager asap and asking to be kept in the loop as to whether I still have a job or not will be useful. It's difficult as they will need to seek guidance from HR as well as external regulatory bodies like the HCPC...as well as managements own feelings about it. Oh, what a mess!

Comment

It is best to speak to your manager before you go on holiday rather than them finding out when you are away. I think they will then use the 3 weeks to consult with whoever they need to and consider how to approach the situation.

If you need any more support we will be here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X