• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell- court tomorrow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell- court tomorrow

Originally posted by Lilu View Post
    I have about 30 minutes before I need to leave, wish me luck ! I will report back later
    Good Luck and Best Wishes Lilu!!

nem

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Okay, so after having the judgment set aside you only found out what the claim was for when you received the claimants witness statement. Take with you your letters asking Lowell what it was / notes of telephone conversations etc and tell the judge you believe the claim to be statute barred under the Limitations Act 1980 as the documents that have been sent by the claimant demonstrate, that you haven't had an opportunity to enter a defence to the claim and believe you have a good chance of success in your defence of statute barred. Also point out that the claimant hasn't provided the original agreement or terms and conditions of the account... so you're unable to check the account debt was incurred properly under the terms.... could also mention you wish to check the terms for fairness ( how the charges behave etc). Are there any issues with the actual amount claimed? Was the overdraft legitimate or made up of charges ? What issues were there at the time you ditched the bank account with the overdraft debt ?

There may be questions as to why the claim was sent to the wrong address originally - although that should already have been dealt with at the set aside, it may come up regards the statute barred - did the original creditor have your updated address when the account closed ? Were other records kept updated ? Were you aware of any debt outstanding on the overdraft at the time of closing. Things like that - you want to show that the claimant could have issued at the right address at the time of the original claim.

@Diana M for any tips on getting the Judge to allow the claim to proceed and Lilu to enter a full defence ( even if it buys time to sort out negotiating a settlement if there isn't actually a defence once it's looked into )

My slight concern is that you didn't submit a Witness Statement after you received the court date hearing letter - so I wouldn't bring up that theirs arrived the morning after the deadline at this point. Check through that hearing letter to see what was ordered.
      If
      no evidence has been filed and its a trial then the Court generally wont allow you to adduce evidence that hasnt been served. That being said, if the account is an overdraft, then the Court is mandated by EU law to assess the terms for fairness, and in those circumstances id raise the Foster Burnell judgment, if the Judge refuses to assess, then its open to appeal irrespective of any evidence from the consumer
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

The hearing letter ordered any documents and witness statements be served no later than 4.00 pm on the 24/2/17. The original amount is a fair bit lower than that as hbos were adding £ 150 at a time as charges. At the time I was having personal problems and had to move to help my sister look after my mum who was having cancer treatment. I told hbos that I would start having problems at the time and I ended up arguing with my branch manager and gave them the card back and told them I wanted to close the account. They let direct debits go after this and then it snowballed a bit with charges etc. I honestly didn't know what it was for and my original witness statement was basically that ! I only got any information on the 25/2/17 from lowells WS
        thankyou
        Okay lets hope you can get the chance to defend the claim at this stage then and you should have a pretty good defence. You'll just have to keep to the had no info until after WS's were due to be exchanged and want the chance to defend now you know it is a disputed account.

Best of luck today xxx
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
          If
          no evidence has been filed and its a trial then the Court generally wont allow you to adduce evidence that hasnt been served. That being said, if the account is an overdraft, then the Court is mandated by EU law to assess the terms for fairness, and in those circumstances id raise the Foster Burnell judgment, if the Judge refuses to assess, then its open to appeal irrespective of any evidence from the consumer
          Indeed. Need to get it held up today though first. As the claimant wouldn't inform Lilu anything whatsoever about what the claim was for hopefully as a LIP the Judge could be sympathetic and adjourn to allow a defence to be filed? fingers crossed anyway.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

And even if the Judge is reluctant to consider EU Law, there is this major recent piece of legislation:

The Consumer Rights Act 2015

71Duty of court to consider fairness of term

(1)
            Subsection (2) applies to proceedings before a court which relate to a term of a consumer contract.

(2)
            The court must consider whether the term is fair even if none of the parties to the proceedings has raised that issue or indicated that it intends to raise it.

(3)
            But subsection (2) does not apply unless the court considers that it has before it sufficient legal and factual material to enable it to consider the fairness of the term.
            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Well the judge totally sided with lowells, said there was no reasons to give me any time and just upped the judgement to £2500 ! I told him I thought it was unfair and I'd had no time to dispute anything at all till recently and I hadn't seen any evidence etc apart from a photocopy of a bank statement, he also said it wasn't statute barred ! He wouldn't accept that lowells continued to tell me I had no account with them and there would be no action etc. At the end he basically said it's £2500 and I had 14 days to pay ! While the weasel from lowells was sat sniggering �� What can I do from here ? I just think it's really unfair that after owing Halifax around £800 it's now £2500 and I've no chance to do anything ! Is there anything I can do from here ?
              Thanks

Comment

Well the judge totally sided with lowells, said there was no reasons to give me any time and just upped the judgement to £2500 ! I told him I thought it was unfair and I'd had no time to dispute anything at all till recently and I hadn't seen any evidence etc apart from a photocopy of a bank statement, he also said it wasn't statute barred ! He wouldn't accept that lowells continued to tell me I had no account with them and there would be no action etc. At the end he basically said it's £2500 and I had 14 days to pay ! While the weasel from lowells was sat sniggering �� What can I do from here ? I just think it's really unfair that after owing Halifax around £800 it's now £2500 and I've no chance to do anything ! Is there anything I can do from here ?
                Thanks
                yes,there is

Appeal
                I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Thanks @pt2537
                  do I just fill in another n244 and appeal that the judgment is unfair ? What would my argument be ? Also he said I had 14 days to pay ! Can I stop that in any way ?
                  thanks

Comment

Sounds great in principle, but not something she can do alone. Can either of our consumer credit solicitors firms take a look? Im presuming the word appeal wasn't muttered by anyone at the actual hearing today?

So sorry for this outcome Lilu, very frustrating and patently wrong.
                    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I did ask if I could appeal but was just ignored ! I'm stunned that I wasn't even listened to regarding anything at all. All the judge said was that I had 14 days to pay and Lowell would be in touch

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                        Sounds great in principle, but not something she can do alone. Can either of our consumer credit solicitors firms take a look? Im presuming the word appeal wasn't muttered by anyone at the actual hearing today?

So sorry for this outcome Lilu, very frustrating and patently wrong.
                        Sounds just up PT's street !!

nem

Comment

Any advice on where I go from would be great ! Otherwise I think I may have a big problem paying

Comment

Any advice on where I go from would be great ! Otherwise I think I may have a big problem paying
                            Appeals from a small claims case ought to be a little more straight forward, but they can be a pain, there is no way you can tell really.

It shouldnt be too hard to do in theory, you would need an appellants notice, grounds of appeal and a skeleton argument although in small claims they dont always insist on them.

You would ideally need a note of the judgment too, this would be something that could be obtained from the other side as they were represented, so would have taken a note i would have thought

Comment

Thank you for your reply!
                              What could be my grounds for appeal? Would it be that the judgement was made unfairly? That is was made in error? That I had no knowledge of the debt to be able to defend myself? That I wasn't given an opportunity to even defend the debt let alone against the ccj that was made today?
                              Also, what is an appellants notice? Is it a form?
                              Im guessing that Lowells will be sending me the notice in due course as that is what the judge stated.

Comment

Tom Brennan, our 'go to' consumer barrister thinks this could be 'interesting'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X