• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

High Court Bailiff - do they know what they are doing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High Court Bailiff - do they know what they are doing?

Update.

Well out of the blue I was offered a settlement figure; just before the hearing date. After a bit of negotiation we reached a figure that I was happy to move forward on. The settlement was based on me signing a notice of discontinuance N279 and Tomlin order. They advised there was no need to go to court as they wouldn't send anyone either.

I went to court as I don't trust them; and to my surprise (sarcasm) they had sent a lawyer. The lawyer hadn't prepared and started to ask me about the case. I told him to go away.

We were called to the judge. The judge had been made aware of the settlement. I has sent documents through in advance. I advised the judge that we had reached a settlement, had a Tomlin Order signed by both parties, and a signed N279 notice of discontinuance.

The judge was brilliant. He was totally perplexed by receiving a Tomlin Order and a N279 notice of discontinuance. After much legal discussion between the lawyer and the judge - I got a sense the judge was making it clear that they were acting unprofessionally, to the point of making the lawyer re-write the Tomlin Order. He gave judgement referencing settlement figure to be paid and that the N279 was not required.

On my return I looked more into N279 and Tomlin orders and as a layperson I'm confused on the practice direction here. Any help here might aid others in a similar situation.

Thanks in advance.
    Layperson.
    Last edited by layperson; 20th November 2017, 14:49:PM. Reason: poor English

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X