• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell DQ stage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell DQ stage

Imho, the defence isn't too bad.

Again re penalty charges, it would depend on how much was charged & what it (they) were for.
    For instance, back in 2006 the OFT (as was) calculated 'fair' default charges, applicable to credit cards, to be (max) £12.

It might be a tad tricky to state that unfair charges were applied to an agreement while at the same time stating that there was no agreement.......if you see what I mean.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yes I follow you I kind of feel as if I just want to go to a hearing (if it should get that far) and just not say alot, just have the thought process of who are you, where has this claim arrived from, can you prove I owe this money, but as you have just picked that contradiction out then why wouldn't a judge. I guess the bottom line is are Lowell going to get hold of the original statements and CCA agreement, I am just hoping that they are just trying there luck to see if it defaults to a CCJ and if I take it further may end up withdrawing their claim << I can only dream ! Although this has of course happened to others. I really do want to avoid a CCJ if I can though as I am practically 2 years into the default and only have 4 years to go lol ! I would need to fully understand my options of making an agreement with Lowell should they fold there cards with all the documents, and at what point should I try to make an agreement.

I do have one question though if you don't mind, as this claim was stayed, is it possible that the court can still allocate a DQ out to me without Lowell lifting the claim. I only ask this as it seems to me that Lowell have not made any contact whatsoever. If this is the case, then perhaps the court won't get any contact back from them in regards to the DQ because I am sure they have to fill out one also ?

Comment

Last bit first.
        I received a DQ from the court few days ago
        If the stay has not been lifted, the court should not be continuing the case.
        A quick 'phone call to the court to check on the current status might be an idea. (I believe you can also check via MCOL. It sometimes takes them a few days to update their records).

Bearing in mind that there is £4k(ish) on the table, It wouldn't surprise me if they (Claimant/sols) did try to push this further.
        They may consider it to be a commercially acceptable gamble, especially where the Defendant is a litigant in person.

That said, they do still have to produce documentation which complies with your CCA request, proof that a compliant CCA s87 Default Notice was sent to you & that there was a legal assignment via s136 Law of Property Act 1925. (I'm assuming, based on many, if not all, of the threads that I've seen in these kind of claims, novation is probably not applicable).

I also happen to think that you have a right to see the Deed of Assignment. The usual objection is that it is a commercially sensitive document. Personally, I would dispute that; it is an agreement between the assignor & the assignee which may contain terms/conditions that could have implications which might directly affect the debtor. It will be for the judge to decide whether the Deed is a privileged document, not the Claimant or their sols.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Yep, got ya ! Well, I will contact the court tomorrow just in case on the slim chance that the stay has not been lifted and could possibly be a mistake, if has been lifted which I agree is the most likely, I will get the DQ sent off tomorrow based on call. I will report back on any updates. I thank you very much for your responses.

Comment

Had the call about mediation appointment today obviously it cannot go ahead as I have not received any paper work from the claimant, she did ask if I wanted to delay pushing it forward to a judge to see if I could obtain the information from them I stated that I did not want to. Next step then is to see if Lowell are going to attend a hearing I suppose and if they actually have any evidence.

Comment

You may have said but did you actually send a request under S77-79 to the claimant along with the fee of £1 ?

For a debt of that age , that is the most powerful tool a layman can use, as for the rest I am afraid we start to get technical which is way above my pay grade I'm afraid.

Comment

Yes I did send the CCA request, they did not reply to it. I sent that one to Lowell themselves and the CPR 18 request to Lowell Solicitors !

Comment

WOW ! Just an update guys, since posting I had a court date issued for the end of June, I filled out the responses that I will be attending and tracked it to my local court e.t.c Anyway I have received this letter and in my understanding I guess this is a fold, shocked to say the least
                  Last edited by skinnyg; 23rd May 2017, 20:05:PM.

Comment

Great

Well done

Another one bites the dust

Comment

Thanks The usual question will commence now...... what are the chances of Lowell bringing this back to life and/or if they will sell the debt on? In my understanding from most responses the answer is just that "not likely".

Comment

Keep your letter safe. My understanding , after discontinuing they can not bring it back.
                        [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION] [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]

Comment

Just a quick question is there anything else I need to do with regards to responding to this notice, i.e contact the courts ? Thanks again

Comment

If Lowells are being honest about discontinuing, you should get notification from the court.
                            You can phone the court for an update.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Just one more question, the agreement was 2011 but when was the last payment made and the account defaulted. As the claim has been discontinued the statute barred clock carries on ticking

Comment

Yeah it's about 2 years into default So another 4 years till statute barred I'm afraid ..

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X