• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Internal RLP doc. found online; details their 2009 case handling process & timeliness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal RLP doc. found online; details their 2009 case handling process & timeliness

So, earlier today I googled 'cputr criminal case rlp' to see if anyone had brought a case against them under "Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008" or "Consumer Protection (Amendment) Regulations 2014" on the basis that "both the civil recovery agent and their retailer client will now be liable to criminal sanctions and private redress under the 2008 and 2014 Regulations respectively." http://thejusticegap.com/2014/08/end...ivil-recovery/ (it doesn't seem that there have, which is surprising because the regulations & organisations like CAB exist to stop the type of business practices fundamental to RLP's entire operation).

However I did make a rather interesting discovery though on the site of an Icelandic business advocacy group (attached & here: http://svth.is/wp-content/uploads/20...ation_-_jl.pdf).

The document seems to be a legit handout from a Retail Loss Prevention conference presentation from Feb 2009 (based on the branding & the same language, tone & similar amateurish presentation to their current website).

Of particular note is page 4: "Case Output" and "Litigation" workflows describing their approach & timeliness for issuing letters, consistent with what's generally been documented here (apart from the early settlement discount on the first letter, I've not seen that anywhere recently - they must've realised they still get paid without offering a "discount" first!).

The final steps in their business-process workflow are "Live not Active – liability outstanding" and "put case on hold" i.e. "we have probably scared the individually into paying by now - if not & all letters are completely ignored and no voluntary payment is made, give up & move onto the next target".

Also worth noting that while they reference court proceedings, this is included as a comment box and NOT as regular expected step routinely following issuing any of their letters/invoices/recovery referrals... which might be because they had then, as they have now, NEVER SUCCESSFULLY LITIGATED A FULLY CONTESTED CASE IN COURT (just in case anyone reading this still isn't aware).

Another important thing to note supporting the approach recommended by esteemed Beagles of IGNORING ALL RLP's CORRESPONDENCE is that you will not make them stop writing to you by engaging with them, no matter how tempting it may be to put them in their place. They have a standard response process for dealing with a correspondence, including where the legal basis for their case is disputed (they automatically reject such claims, regardless of the specific content of your correspondence) or where mitigating factors are presented (they automatically offer a reduced settlement, regardless of the details of your specific situation).

I understand the workflows, combined with all the cases on this fine site, to be proof that:
    • anyone you correspond with at RLP appears to be contractually obliged to ignore whatever you write to them & simply issue one of a selection of template letters lightly tailored to your specific "case"
    • RLP's (internally stated) business model is to send 10-15 demands for payment over a period of months and then cut their losses & drop the case
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GorgeousGeorgina; 6th March 2017, 19:32:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: RLP sales or conference presentation found online (2009)

It also includes the table reproduced in the CAB 'Uncivil Recovery' report that determined (back then) what they would demand - it seems that they've raised each category by ~£10 since:
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: 2009 internal RLP doc. found online; details their case handling process & timeli

Thank you for that posting.
      I have downloaded (but not yet read!) their presentation.
      Will keep that for later when Iwant cheering up!

Comment

Re: Internal RLP doc. found online; details their 2009 case handling process & timeli

No problem, glad to contribute something after mining these forums for info & reassurance! I've received 1 letter from them myself after an incident that was ultimately a manifestation of a bipolar manic-episode (no police, goods fully recovered, invoiced their standard amount for items valued between £10 & £99.99) & I was in a right state till I found this place & the contributions of the people posting here over the years (you included!).

I do wonder why they haven't been prosecuted under those regulations though - if someone like CAB sponsored it, took it court it & managed to also bring related charges against their 'client' retailers it would surely result in them being dropped by all of them & ruined (effectively ending the civil recovery industry as it currently stands)?

Comment

Re: Internal RLP doc. found online; details their 2009 case handling process & timeli

I suspect that no one feels it is worth the expense, and there is also the problem that most of these incidents involve vulnerable people who probably would not wish to be involved in a criminal case, even as a witness.
          There could also be a backlash from certain sectors of the public who would hear Shoplifters costing the stores £X million which is passed on to customers and unfortunately not consider
          that private systems of justice are wrong!

Trust you are managing your condition well.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X