Thread: bank charges

• Display
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default bank charges

IS it really too late to revive an historic claim for bank charges. In January, using MSE template letters I tried to revive a claim for bank charges from 2000 - 2006. Although I know it was a while a go I felt it was worth a try as it totals around £25,800 and I have evidence that I tried years earlier to receive a refund. My husband tried to end his life in 2007 as a direct result of the pressure being placed on him by the banks and it has taken me some time to build the confidence to stand up against them without fearing the repercussions. However I havent heard anything from Lloyds not even confirmation of receipt. Then in MSE forum I was told the boat has sailed. Do I have any options now? Informed advice appreciated

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Default Re: bank charges

Quote Originally Posted by kazman64 View Post
    IS it really too late to revive an historic claim for bank charges. In January, using MSE template letters I tried to revive a claim for bank charges from 2000 - 2006. Although I know it was a while a go I felt it was worth a try as it totals around £25,800 and I have evidence that I tried years earlier to receive a refund. My husband tried to end his life in 2007 as a direct result of the pressure being placed on him by the banks and it has taken me some time to build the confidence to stand up against them without fearing the repercussions. However I havent heard anything from Lloyds not even confirmation of receipt. Then in MSE forum I was told the boat has sailed. Do I have any options now? Informed advice appreciated
    Depends whether you argue historic financial hardship and that the bank were informed and did not do enough to help at that time. @Amethyst @EXC to comment as well
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I listed the amounts, the effect it had then and now and that I asked at the time for a refund because of the effect they were having on our business and family finances. I have evidence from both suffolk business link and a company called ibas who also requested on our behalf. What do i need to do now if they havent replied

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

I listed the amounts, the effect it had then and now and that I asked at the time for a refund because of the effect they were having on our business and family finances. I have evidence from both suffolk business link and a company called ibas who also requested on our behalf. What do i need to do now if they havent replied
    What was the banks response? Did you ask for help during the period in which this happened and what did the bank say at the time?

I just want to add one last thing: financial hardship and bank charges does not necessarily mean that the bank will refund charges but they can either waive charges or even temporarily extend an overdraft if it is clear that income coming in and priority debts ie mortgage,rent, utilities, council tax cannot be paid without doing so or that bank charges are preventing this.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Were the bank charges made to a personal or business account, or a mixture of both?
    Well, she's walking through the clouds, with a circus mind that's running wild
    butterflies and zebras, and moonbeams and fairy tales
    that's all she ever thinks about
    riding with the wind.

When I'm sad, she comes to me, with a thousand smiles she gives to me free
    it's alright, she says it's alright, take anything you want from me
    anything.

Fly on little wing.

Jimi Hendrix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mix of both

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

How much in charges were from personal accounts?
    Well, she's walking through the clouds, with a circus mind that's running wild
    butterflies and zebras, and moonbeams and fairy tales
    that's all she ever thinks about
    riding with the wind.

When I'm sad, she comes to me, with a thousand smiles she gives to me free
    it's alright, she says it's alright, take anything you want from me
    anything.

Fly on little wing.

Jimi Hendrix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

£14,153 total of which £4200 was persona bank
    £1,913 interest
    Then Insurance charges total £9,763

Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)

What was the insurance? Was that a PPI policy ? and again was that personal or business?
    £4200 was on your personal accounts - you've added the £1913 interest (8% stat?)
    Do you know if these charges were unauthorised overdraft, bounced direct debit etc?

The business account charges - were they transaction fees or also unauthorised OD etc?
    “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Find Solicitors and Legal Services Providers offering fixed fees on our sister site - LBcompare.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
    What was the insurance? Was that a PPI policy ? and again was that personal or business?
    £4200 was on your personal accounts - you've added the £1913 interest (8% stat?)
    Do you know if these charges were unauthorised overdraft, bounced direct debit etc?

The business account charges - were they transaction fees or also unauthorised OD etc?

Private was mix unpaid chq, overdraft interest and od excess charges

Bus account was unauthzd borrowing fees, chq fees for unpaid chqs and a monthly focus charge we didnt request and asked them to remove at the time

Insrance was on business loans taken out by hubby as sole trader which again we asked at the time to remove and recalculate as it included me and wasnt relevant
    Last edited by Amethyst; 13th March 2017 at 13:15:PM.