• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell solicitors- Going to receive a claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell solicitors- Going to receive a claim

Received a letter from Lowell solicitors, in relation to a debt which I cannot recall, so would like to fight it. They have asked me to contact them, or pay up, or a claim will be issued via CCBC. I am familiar with the CCBC procedure, as I've used it a few times as a claimant and a defendant. The alleged debt is only for a mere £400, however I cannot recall it, nor hold any paperwork regarding it's exsistence. I will post further, when the claim arrives, but in the meantime, should I bother even replying to them in the interim?

As I see it, and from past experience, the legal system appears to be like a game of chess, so perhaps that approach, may checkmate these vultures. Would I be right in thinking that the timings in these matters, is very important, in order to give yourself the best possible chance of winning, for example...posting information requests to the claimant as late as possible etc, inevitably cutting their allowed response time, increasing the possibility for error and timeout - by keeping communications to a bare minimum, and give them no advantage, or unnecessary information, but plenty of rope to hang themselves? all advice welcome, and thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell solicitors- Going to receive a claim

Hi smintram & welcome to LB

If the communication which you have recently received is a 'letter before claim' (eg will go to court, & not 'may' or 'might'), you should respond.

If you can tell us what the alleged debt is for (credit card, bank account, mobile 'phone bill etc), we may be better placed to offer suggestions.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi, and sorry, I did forget to mention that...It says it's on behalf of their client, Lowell portfolio, regarding a shop direct account. They only stipulate to contact them to arrange to pay.
      Hope that helps.

Comment

The obvious question is do you recall ever having a Shop Direct agreement? (If so, probably with one of the trading names such as Very or Littlewoods etc).
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

No, but my ex girlfriend was always opening accounts in my name, with my consent. She usually payed them off though. Obviously, this would still make me liable...but this would probably have been around four years ago.

Comment

I guess I'll have to plead ignorant, and just put up a defence of some kind.

Comment

Any advice please on how to approach this one anybody?

Comment

[MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]

Comment

mike770 ???

Comment

asking Diana to pop in to the thread to look at it

Comment

Originally posted by smintram View Post
                      Hi, and sorry, I did forget to mention that...It says it's on behalf of their client, Lowell portfolio, regarding a shop direct account. They only stipulate to contact them to arrange to pay.
                      Hope that helps.
                      *It would appear from this that there is no actual threat of litigation at the moment?

Originally posted by smintram View Post
                      I guess I'll have to plead ignorant, and just put up a defence of some kind.
                      *If so, no 'defence' is necessary at the moment

It may be a good idea to SAR Shop Direct for all data re this account.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know what "SAR" means. They say they will automatically issue a claim if they haven't heard from me about payment by the 14th, so I'd say it's coming. That said, would it be better to contact them, to cover myself? It's obvious that the debt was sold on to Lowell, so now their problem I guess. chances are that Lowell may not know or have the information that I may require. I only have a few days to post something, so all suggestions are welcome.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X