• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination and Settlement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination and Settlement

Hi
    Is anyone able to advise on the best way to proceed with this please. VT has been organised and recently completed. Company sent invoice for final settlement. Replied to this, with figures agreed with and figures disputed - as they had charged for an item that wasn't there, which had never been supplied. They had accepted this point during negotiations and had said they wouldn't include this on final settlement invoice. This was then included, so I deducted it, then sent them the payment/balance they required, with this figure deducted. Payment has not been rejected but nor has it been cashed (cheque). I have not had a receipt but nor have I had any further correspondence. Not a receipt nor any further demands for payment. Should I accept that they asked for money, I sent them a payment and that is that - or - are they playing games...if they don't cash the cheque, can they then try to claim I never paid them anything and then try funny shenanigans to try to inflate the bill or send the debt collectors? I worry that contacting them will 'poke the sleeping tiger' but not chasing it up might end up with me facing an even worse outcome. Surely, several weeks later, if they haven't asked me for further money or indicated that they won't accept/cash my payment, then that's their issue? If they had intent not to accept my payment wouldn't they have to let me know?
    Tags: None

Re: Voluntary Termination and Settlement

Originally posted by Herbert_Kinnell View Post
    Hi
    Is anyone able to advise on the best way to proceed with this please. VT has been organised and recently completed. Company sent invoice for final settlement. Replied to this, with figures agreed with and figures disputed - as they had charged for an item that wasn't there, which had never been supplied. They had accepted this point during negotiations and had said they wouldn't include this on final settlement invoice. This was then included, so I deducted it, then sent them the payment/balance they required, with this figure deducted. Payment has not been rejected but nor has it been cashed (cheque). I have not had a receipt but nor have I had any further correspondence. Not a receipt nor any further demands for payment. Should I accept that they asked for money, I sent them a payment and that is that - or - are they playing games...if they don't cash the cheque, can they then try to claim I never paid them anything and then try funny shenanigans to try to inflate the bill or send the debt collectors? I worry that contacting them will 'poke the sleeping tiger' but not chasing it up might end up with me facing an even worse outcome. Surely, several weeks later, if they haven't asked me for further money or indicated that they won't accept/cash my payment, then that's their issue? If they had intent not to accept my payment wouldn't they have to let me know?
    [MENTION=23709]rob[/MENTION] have you any thoughts on this point please? Your advice has helped others so often, I wondered if you could shed some light on what I do if they haven't cashed my cheque weeks later - but nor have they refused it - or disputed the cheque I sent and asked me for anything else - but I don't have closure because I've no receipt either...Surely if they were going to do something else, they would have by now?? Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Comment

Do you have what was agreed in writing? Either way, I would kick off with a complaint letter to the company, explain the background to it, and what resolution you want.

Have they collected the car and the only thing outstanding is the amount to be agreed?

P.s. if you want to tag me, my with an zero not the letter
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
        Do you have what was agreed in writing? Either way, I would kick off with a complaint letter to the company, explain the background to it, and what resolution you want.

Have they collected the car and the only thing outstanding is the amount to be agreed?

P.s. if you want to tag me, my with an zero not the letter
        [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] -thanks. Yes, car long gone. VT took place just before half way mark and I accepted the half way liability figure. Invoice for it came weeks after car was collected but also had billing on it for excess mileage, valeting etc etc. So. I deducted from the total figure the excess mileage and wot not and sent a cheque, explaining what I had/had not paid for. That was several weeks ago. The cheque has neither been cashed, nor disputed. Part of me thinks, if they can't be organised to accept my payment, that's their issue. The other part of me thinks, are they waiting for the cheque to expire and then plan on hitting me with an 'over due' payment demand - including court charges etc etc. Could they do this - when it is their failure to bank the cheque?

Comment

They wouldn't issue any court proceedings without notifying you first of all, but you should be chasing it up and confirming you sent a cheque. If they respond and say you need to sen another one then I'd have the previous one cancelled first in case they cash both.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X