• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PRA Group and CCJ's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRA Group and CCJ's

Can someone help me? I have a debt with MBNA which originated from a Virgin credit card I took out back in 2006. I made regular payments up until the recession in 2009 when I was put on a payment plan to repay the debt. This debt has since been passed onto several creditors and the last payments were made to a creditor called BCW. I was then advised last year that the debt has been assigned to the PRA Group and to enable me to continue with the regular payments I was asked to provide a review of my monthly expenditure to review the payments. Upon the advice I was given I cancelled the standing order with BCW and received no further correspondence from PRA Group. I have now received a claim in the post from the County Court asking for the full amount plus court fees. I now have to respond to the claim but I want to know how to go about this and get the correct advice before I do something that could leave me vulnerable. I have worked so hard to build back up my credit rating since the recession and I now have a near perfect credit score. If I get a CCJ I understand that this will be visible on my credit file for the next 6 years. This seems so unfair as I was making regular payments until The PRA Group took on the debt. Do I contact PRA Group and discuss this with them over the phone and make an offer of regular payments. Would they then retract the claim with the County Court? Any help would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: PRA Group and CCJ's

Hi shabisheek & welcome to LB.

Have you acknowledged the court claim yet?
    When was the claim issue date? (Front of the N1 claim form)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi. Thanks for your response. I've started to acknowledge the form on moneyclaim online but have not yet filled in anything on the defence section. That's when I stopped and decided to seek advice before I submit anything. The date on the claim is the 21st Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by shabisheek View Post
        I've started to acknowledge the form on moneyclaim online but have not yet filled in anything on the defence section. That's when I stopped and decided to seek advice before I submit anything.
        When you go online you tick the box which says you intend to "defend all of the claim". Do not put anything in the Defence box (it's a common mistake people make because the form is not clear). You should get a "successful" notification so screenshot the page.

If the claim Issue Date is 21st February you have 19 days from that date to file your AOS and 33 days from that date (claim Issue Date) to file your Defence.

You need to do three things next:

I. send a s.77-79 CCA Request to PRA at the address on the claim form.

2. send a CPR 31.14 Request to PRA's solicitors if they have instructed any or to PRA direct addressing it to the Legal Representative named on the claim form (at the bottom on the left).

3. send a Subject Access Request to MBNA to get the full history of the account which will prove useful further down the line (all will be revealed).

This forum has template letters for all three tasks if you need them and you'll also get help on how to complete them.

You can never ask too many questions

Di

Comment

Thanks so much for your valuable advice. It's reassuring to receive from someone in the know. Very much appreciated thank you.

Comment

Hi Di.
            When I went back into Money Claim Web site to continue my defence, it wont let me continue until I write something in the defence box. Should briefly write why I am defending the claim? Not sure what to do next?

Comment

Hi Di,,
              Also, could you provide me with a link to the templates? I'm finding it a bit difficult to navigate.
              Many Thanks
              Shabisheek

Comment

CCA Request || CPR 31.14 Request

Comment

Great thanks Mike770.

Comment

Hi Di.
                    When I went back into Money Claim Web site to continue my defence, it wont let me continue until I write something in the defence box. Should briefly write why I am defending the claim? Not sure what to do next?
                    Don't put anything whatsoever in the Defence box right now.

The MCOL website can be tricky at times so you may need to file your AOS by email if it won't let you do that online.

Your claim Issue Date is 21st February so you have 19 days from that date to get this sorted.

In the meantime can you post up (type out) the Particulars of Claim which say what the Claimant is claiming and why they think they have the right to claim it. You need to remove any details which could identify you first.

How much is PRA claiming?

Di

Comment

This debt has since been passed onto several creditors
                      Does the name Varde or Experto Credite feature on the list of creditors who've been chasing you?

Di

Comment

Di,
                        To be honest, Experto Credite definitely rings a bell over the years but I'm not sure if it relates to this or another debt I may have had? Other than checking over my bank statements is there any other way I can find out? What is the significance of this?

Comment

They are claiming £4533.06. So in the defence box, should I just write in there the particulars of the claim as shown on the front of the claim form? There are no details on that could identify me it just states dates and the amount of debt over the years and what has been paid etc.

Comment

[MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]

(Good evening, Di )
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                            gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

So in the defence box, should I just write in there the particulars of the claim as shown on the front of the claim form? There are no details on that could identify me it just states dates and the amount of debt over the years and what has been paid etc.
                              Don't put anything in the Defence box.

Step away from the keyboard.

Wait for further instructions.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X