• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell

Hi there
    My son has 4 separate accounts with Lowell, all for old catalogue accounts, he's in a payment plan for all of them, unfortunately the stress of these debts are making him very ill & he was recently diagnosed with severe depression
    My question is.....can I have these accounts transferred into my name? I also have accounts with Lowell, so I'm not credit worthy anyway, so it doesn't matter to me if I have others on my credit file
    Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell

As far as I am aware, No you can not have the accounts transferred into your name but you could act as an agent for your son. All this wold involve is you son signing letters asking Lowell to deal with you in future regarding the debts - he would still be liable . You may want to include something about his disability.

The problem with depression is that while it can be very debilitating it is also a 'modern' illness that Drs diagnose frequently and determining just how debilitating it is can be difficult for creditors

Depending on the age of the accounts , have you sent requests under S77-79 CCA to see if Lowell have the agreements. [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] might be able to help

Comment

[MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by brecken View Post
        My son has 4 separate accounts with Lowell, all for old catalogue accounts . . .

My question is.....can I have these accounts transferred into my name? I also have accounts with Lowell, so I'm not credit worthy anyway
        The short answer is No you can't change the ownership of an account. It's a legal contract between two parties and you're not one of them.

Even if you could (which you can't) the debt owner may not be tempted by someone who has bad credit taking over since it wouldn't improve the situation for them (Lowells). Unless you own your home and they want you to enter into some sort of guarantor situation so they can take you to court and slap a Charging Order on your home if they win.

However you can help your son deal with Lowells for these debts if he authorises you (in writing) to act on his behalf.

Perhaps the first thing to do is establish whether these old (how old?) catalogue debts are 'enforceable' in court.

Di

Comment

Hi there
          i remember them sending some sort of paper wrk, when requested, but it wasn't signed paperwork, they said it didn't need to be signed because it was taken out on line
          the amount of the accounts and the minimal amount he is paying back, means he will be paying them for about 20 yrs or more

Comment

The date may still be important in determining if these are enforceable in court but I will leave you in the expert hands of Diana M

Comment

The accounts were taken out between 2009-10

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X