• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking Irish company to Court in the UK - Defendant notice to rely upon Heresay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Irish company to Court in the UK - Defendant notice to rely upon Heresay

Hi all,

So evidence bundles are in for my case against Ryanair - they have sent a Witness Statement by LADY A and then this Defendant Notice to Rely Upon Heresay sheet - due to being in Ireland when the case is being heard in Wales.

She basically states she thinks it would be too expensive to travel to Wales and that the extent of her oral evidence would be limited.

How do I cross-examine her? can I object to her not attending, or better yet, have her evidence/witness statement thrown out?

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: Taking Irish company to Court in the UK - Defendant notice to rely upon Heresay

CPR 33.4
    Power to call witness for cross-examination on hearsay evidence

(1) Where a party –
    (a) proposes to rely on hearsay evidence; and
    (b) does not propose to call the person who made the original statement to give oral evidence,
    the court may, on the application of any other party, permit that party to call the maker of the statement to be cross-examined on the contents of the statement.
    (2) An application for permission to cross-examine under this rule must be made not more than 14 days after the day on which a notice of intention to rely on the hearsay evidence was served on the applicant.

Comment

Re: Taking Irish company to Court in the UK - Defendant notice to rely upon Heresay

Would I have to pay for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniella View Post
        Would I have to pay for that?
        Probably yes,but can't find exact cost.
        EX50 leaflet says "Your local court will be ableto help you identify any fee not contained in this leaflet"

Comment

You will need leave of the Court to call the witness for cross examination. (S3, CEA 1995 and CPR 33.4).

Do bear in mind that if you lose the case, you'll foot the expenses of the witness travelling.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X