• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial default (Communications debt) please help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial default (Communications debt) please help.

Hello everyone, I use this website a lot as a non-member for advice but in my current case I can't find any so I've decided to create a post. I hope it's in the correct area on the forum. Sorry if it's a bit long, I'm trying to put in every detail. Thank you for reading!

In November 2016 I received a letter from Cabot Financial explaining that my 'Sky - Communications' account had not been reported to any Credit Reference Agencies, and that they intended to begin doing so as it is their "Responsibility" to provide accurate and up-to-date data. However, they explained in this letter that if I paid the amount of £463.33 (how!?) within 30 days, they would NOT report the account and the matter would be settled.

I contacted them via e-mail the same month through their website enquiring about the debt (I don't want to phone them) and while I received an e-mail reply stating they would get back to me, I never heard off them and I considered the matter closed. It is my understanding that Sky never placed a default on my account, because I have always had a clean credit record, I have a credit card with Barclays Bank and have had 2 loans with them with very good rates. I check my file with Experian and Equifax and this Sky account has NEVER been recorded to the Credit Reference Agencies. I don't recall Sky ever contacting me about this money, and I am struggling to remember where this debt has even come from as I have been with BT for over 3 years now.

In January 2017, I received an e-mail notification from Experian saying there had been a significant change to my credit file. Obviously I investigated, and I was shocked to find that Cabot Financial had reported a default on my account for the amount of £463.33, starting 23/03/2013. There had been no defaults on my credit file prior to this one being added in January. A couple of days later, another letter from Cabot arrived explaining that if I don't pay the amount, they will have no choice but to make an application for a CCJ.

I contacted Cabot asking for a copy of the original agreement, and demanded they remove the default as I felt it had been added unlawfully. Yesterday I received a reply saying that as it is not a credit agreement and isn't regulated under the CCA my request is not applicable which to my understanding is correct. They also said that it was in fact Sky who put the default on my account, not Cabot (The default says Cabot Financial), and as such I would have to contact Sky to receive a copy of any default notices if they had any.

I never received any such notices of a default from Sky, a default from Sky hasn't shown on my credit file at all. My account with Sky isn't even on any of my credit reports which has had me scratching my head as, If I did have a default, how did I get a credit card with Barclays? or a Loan?

I just don't know what to do about the whole thing. My understanding is that Sky don't report accounts to CRA's, and that DCA's CANNOT add defaults to my credit file so I feel like Cabot are really trying to do me over. ANy help would be greatly appreciated as this has been causing me a lot of stress these past 2 months. Thank you.

Casey.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X