• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Credit Card Default

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Default

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice. I am considering taking legal action against a credit card provider and a debt collection company. I have an ongoing issue with a credit card default which is killing my credit score and making it impossible for me to get credit. Bear with me as it's a long story!

In 2015 I was mis-sold a credit card by a high street clothes store, which led to a default being filed against me. I can provide further details of this if necessary, but to cut a long story short I was wrongly told by till staff that I was upgrading a store card when in actual fact I was being sold a credit card. I made a complaint to the card provider and won, the default was to be removed (confirmed in writing) in June 2016 and I was told that it may take 28 days to be removed from all credit reports. I was also told that my account would be closed down, with no outstanding balance.

In August 2016 I applied for a mortgage, and was declined. I found that this was because the default was still filed on my credit report. I made enquiries of the company who had stated the default would be gone after 28 days, and was told that I had been given incorrect information and it may actually take 90 days to be removed from all reports. I went direct to my bank and explained my situation, provided them with a copy of the letter I had from the card provider confirming the removal of the default, and fortunately they approved my application for a mortgage on the promise that the default would be gone from my credit score in the near future.

On 3rd January this year I received a phone call from a debt collection agency, who stated that they were acting on behalf of a company who had bought my debt from the credit card provider. I advised that this was an error as I had already been through the complaints procedure, which had resulted in a decision in my favour and the account had been closed. I was advised that the company would refer the matter back to the company who had bought the account and I would hear in due course.

Yesterday I called the company for an update, and was told that they had put my account on hold for another 30 days as they were awaiting further information. I told them how much this whole situation was impacting on me; it has caused me a great deal of stress and is also having a great financial impact as I am being charged 30% APR on my credit card due to my poor credit score. I have also attempted to take out some credit to buy a car, which has of course been declined due to the default. I advised that I wished to file another complaint against this company, and was told that someone would get back to me asap.

I've received a phone call today from the third party company who are handling the account on the other company's behalf, advising that in order for them to progress the issue they need me to provide them with a copy of the letter I received last year, confirming that the default will be removed. I will of course do this as soon as I can (the letter is somewhere at my mum's house) so that I can speed things up, but I find it incredibly unprofessional that the onus has been left on me to prove my case, rather than the companies communicating between themselves. This is, after all, their issue and not mine. I am also concerned that even if the default is removed today, it will take (at least) 90 days to disappear from my credit score.

What I really want to know is if I have a case to take legal action against one (or all) of the businesses involved in this, as I say it has had great impact on my life in that I was declined for a mortgage nearly costing me my house, and I am in a position where I cannot get any sort of credit due to the default. I am also having to pay an extortionate rate of interest until a time where I can get a lower % credit card to transfer my balance to.

Any response will be gratefully received.

Thank you,
    Jodie
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X