• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shop lifting in tescos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop lifting in tescos

Hello everyone, i've basically been taking chocolate from tesco at the self checkout over the past few months (paying for most) but taking a few things on the side...I have an eating disorder which I am getting help for but this is just a manifestation of that :/

Anyway I was stopped by security today, and they found I had not paid for £20 worth of chocolate but had bought everything else.
    The police were not involved, but Ive been banned from the shop and security took my club card details and said they would be sending me a fine in the next 4-6 weeks, which if i did not pay i would be taken to court with. I am happy to pay this fine I just really don't want this to turn into anything more!!!

I asked if I could pay there and then but they said no...i feel they will see from my clubcard details i have shopped there a lot and assume I have been doing this along time because of this factor and now I am terrified the police will come after me!

Can anyone please advise me on what is likely to happen!! will this all just go away after the fine....im soooo nervous!!!
    many thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: Shop lifting in tescos

Hi and welcome.

Firstly the police will not be involved at this stage, so don't worry about that.
    secondly you will not be fined! In the UK courts issue fines, not Tesco nor any firm who writes to you.

What you will get is a letterfrom a firm called Retail Loss Protection, spouting all sorts of legalese, and threatening you with further action, possibly court, if you don't pay them something in the region of £150.
    What you have to do, contrary to their instructions, is ignore it.
    They will continue to send you invitations to pay them, they may even pass it to a debt collector, but what you do is to ignore.

They cannot take you to court, but they will say they will advise their client to initiate a court claim.
    Ignore them... they won't go to court.
    Last time they tried that some years ago they lost and got smacked by the judge(see here .http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...gment-09-05-12)

They (tesco) lost nothing on this ocassion (goods were recovered) and security were doing what they are paid to do, so there were no extra costs for them so why should you pay them.
    In this country criminal acts are dealt with in the criminal (magistrates) courts and civil losses in the county courts.
    RLP set themselves up as some sort of alternative justice system or vigilantees.
    Please ignore them, get on with your life, and find somewhere better to shop!

Comment

Thank you for your quick response!!! I explained to the security guard about my eating disorder and that it is only ever food i want.....it gets worse with stress and its been a horrible week (im a paramedic).

I had the money to pay and i could not explain why i didn't!

Now im terrified they will look at my club card and look at the cctv and maybe want the police to persue it!

The manager said i was not a normal case and he'd only give me a 3 month ban (i wont be returning) but can he change his mind and review the situation?

- - - Updated - - -

Also do you by any chance know how long the fine take to come roughly? or if i can change the address it comes to? ...i just feel sick about all of this!!

- - - Updated - - -

He said 4 to 6 weeks in a tesco confidential envolpe but Ive heard otherwise on these sites and now im worried

Comment

It is NOT a FINE.

Ignore and DO NOT pay.

Search this forum on RLP, there are many cases about it.

Get help for your eating problem, Choccie is not one of the prime food groups.

Paula

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
          It is NOT a FINE.

Ignore and DO NOT pay.

Search this forum on RLP, there are many cases about it.

Get help for your eating problem, Choccie is not one of the prime food groups naughty but nice though!

Paula
          Amended your post for you!

@ helpmeplease Why do you want to alter your address?
          It is not a good idea to communicate with these people at all as all they do is to redouble their efforts to get money from you.
          You have already indicated you have your problems, and anyone caught shoplifting feels vulnerable.
          These people prey on the vulnerable.
          Just save their letters, then when it is all over you will be able to read them again and see what empty threats they contain and wonder whyyou worried!

Re tesco changing their mind... it;s already been forgotten by them and handed over to RLP.
          The police will not be involved.

Please calm down and stop fretting.
          Whilst not condoning shoplifting, it is a very minor offence and you must not let it ruin your life.
          As a paramedic you should be proud of what you do and not allow a minor peccadillo to upset you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X