• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jjay89 v Link Financial Limited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jjay89 v Link Financial Limited

Hello everyone.

I have been thoroughly researching this forum but could not find a case similar enough to my own so I wanted to make a post to get any additional help I could.

I received letters from Kearns Solicitors acting of behalf of Link Financial Limited saying that I needed to pay Link Financial Outsourcing Limited money for an old GE Capital Finance agreement.

After some research I decided to ignore them, mistake I know, as websites I consulted at the time advised that any acknowledgement could be considered accepting the debt etc.

Fast-forward to today and I have submitted my acknowledgement of service online after receiving a letter from the county court business centre. I intend to send the CCA request onto Link Financial Limited and the CRP request to Kearns solicitors today.

The particulars state that "[[the original agreement] was opened in 04/11/2005 and was terminated after the after the Defendant failed to comply with the terms....The default notice served on 07/04/2008.....[This] has been legally assigned to the claimant by way of Dead of Assignment with an effective date 17/04/2008......Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Date 08/02/2017...."

Now I have discovered that specifically "Link Financial Limited" as it is stated in the Claimant box do not have FCA authority - their interim permissions lapsed in 2015. However "Link Financial Outsourcing Limited" are fully authorised and supposedly occupy the same building but are not mentioned on this letter at all, they were only referred to by Kearns in the letters they sent to me demanding payment. I spoke to the FCA and the gentleman seemed more concerned that Kearns themselves were instructing me to pay this company when they have never been FCA authorised and therefore not permitted to carry out debt collection but I felt this was less relevant. My question is does this support my defence in any way and should it be brought up?

Secondly I believe this debt to be statute barred. To my knowledge I have NEVER paid any money to this company - they even refer to the default in 2008 in the particulars which would be the last time I have even heard anything about it. I do not recall receiving a notice of assignment. My GE Finance became part of an IVA I entered into during 2006 and the default they are referring to must be when I informed my Insolvency Practitioner that I could no longer afford the IVA payments and essentially told me tough. All I could do was shrug and stop paying. I heard little else since then and I subsequently moved house in 2014. The IVA would have failed and was removed from my record in 2011 according to a recent credit check. I obtained a new bank account in 2010 and have only used this for everything I have paid for over the last six years.

Is the debt being statute barred enough of a defence? Should I simply state that?

I am sorry for the long post but if even one person offers the tiniest bit of extra help/advice I would be so grateful. I do not have the funds for independent legal advice.

Thank you all in advance!

Jjay
    Tags: None

Re: Jjay89 v Link Financial Limited

Hi Jjay879 & welcome to LB

How much is the alleged debt (on the N1 court claim), & is it for a loan? Credit card?
    Btw, in your CPR request, ask for the Deed of Assignment as well as the Notice of Assignment.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thank you for responding so soon!

The alleged debt is for £5882.56 plus a court fee of £410, plus Legal representative's costs if £100, making a total of £6392.56.

If my memory serves the original GE finance agreement was for a car, so a HP agreement.

I have included a request for all four documents mentioned in the particulars in the CPR letter.

Comment

When was the last payment to G E Capital Finance made by your IVA provider (acting as your agent)? It's likely to have been about a month after you last paid them.

And when was the failed IVA terminated because that may be the last time the debt was acknowledged on your behalf?

Was this in 2008 or are you guessing at that date because that's when the POC state the DN was served but it might have been later?

If you intend to plead SB then it's best to be sure of the facts first.

If the IVA company still exists you can send them a Subject Access Request to get the file. I would also suggest you send a SAR to G E Capital Finance (or whatever they're now called).

Di

Comment

Three more questions.

Did you have PPI on this account?

If it was a loan, how long was the term if it had continued to the expirey date?

If it was a loan did you open it direct with G E Capital Finance or through a broker?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Jjay879 View Post
            The alleged debt is for £5882.56 plus a court fee of £410, plus Legal representative's costs if £100, making a total of £6392.56.

If my memory serves the original GE finance agreement was for a car, so a HP agreement.
            Our posts have crossed so now I know it was an HP agreement.

What happened to the vehicle?

Di

Comment

I will get on the SAR requests this evening when I am back from work.

My last payment to GE can only have been in 2008 via the IVA. I set the IVA up in 2006 and one of the main reasons was for this car which I needed for work. By 2008 the car had died on me, as well and the IP refused to help me with the payments

I have only been able to make assumptions about the IVA since I have not been able to find any information on it. It's not on the register or anything. The IVA was due to last five years which would make it 2011 if it was terminated then unless it was terminated early for any reason.

Are they really able to consider the IVAs termination as acknowledgement?

Sorry to ask again but how do I stand with the claimant not being authorised? The current legal entity that is authorised wouldn't have even existed in 2008.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe there was PPI on the G E agreement.

As to the term it was a five year agreement, but I cannot be 100% on this I'm afraid.

I opened the agreement in a car sales centre so I do not believe I had any direct contact with G E Finance.

Comment

What happened to the 'dead' car? Was it an insurance write off or a mechanical failure not covered by any warranty?

If you opened the agreement in the car showroom there may have been commission paid to the salesman which should have been brought to your attention.

If there was PPI then if it was missold that could be helpful (maybe a Counterclaim depending on the facts surrounding the PPI and how much you paid in premiums etc).

In order to comply with your s. 79 CCA Request they must produce the PPI documentation if it was referred to in the original credit agreement (s.18 multiple agreements).

What do you mean by the IP refused to help you with your IVA payments?

Termination of your IVA or any acknowledgement of the debt by your IP may impact on SB issues since they would have been acting as your agent unless you expressly cancelled your contract with them.

Cross each bridge as you get to it. I'm known to ask loads of questions because reliable advice needs to be based on facts not speculation.

Dont read anything into the questions I ask. I try to do it in a bland way so no one knows why I'm asking the question, that's the best way to get an accurate answer

Di

Comment

Don't worry, I understand. I'm just so thankful for the help.

The car was essentially ruined. I hadn't looked after it well and it needed repairs that were going to cost more than it was worth so I scrapped it, as I was no longer in great need for transport.

I contacted the IP to let them know I could no longer afford the agreed amounts and they wouldn't do anything. They just stated that that's what I had agreed to pay. Interestingly I searched for Harington Brooks, name popped into my head, and found an article that states they weren't even getting in touch with creditors while taking IVA payments. I think I need to do more research here.

I was not aware of any commission or PPI. I don't even want to counter, I just want to close the door on my past.

Upon digging I found that the original link letter states they purchased the debt. But the particulars state it was legally assigned?

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

As to the term it was a five year agreement, but I cannot be 100% on this I'm afraid..
                    I cant keep up with your updated posts!

The term of the HP agreement may be relevant to the SB issue.

You should always include as many legal arguments as possible in a Defence in case one falls by the wayside before the case gets to Trial.

Di

Comment

I searched for Harington Brooks, name popped into my head, and found an article that states they weren't even getting in touch with creditors while taking IVA payments. I think I need to do more research here.
                      You definitely need to do more research if Harrington Brooks were your IVA provider. Get that SAR in the post pronto.

If you had PPI on any of the debts in your IVA you need to check whether your IVA provider made reclaims on your behalf.

Di

Comment

Sorry to ask again but how do I stand with the claimant not being authorised? .
                        You keep asking that question and I keep not answering it on purpose. I'm not going to post my firm's 'trade secrets' on the internet

Di

Comment

Even though link financial may not be authorised there are ways around it such as entering into an agreement with an authorised firm (presumably Link Outsourcing) and Link Outsourcing will carry out all the regulated activities work on behalf of Link Financial. As for Link Financial being listed on the claim form, provided there was a legal assignment done correctly, they are the legal creditor and can have their name listed on the claim.

Some questions that need answering may help to establish the above point: Was Link Outsourcing sending you the letters requesting payment (before Kearns)? Did you make any inquiries with Kearns as to who their client was or does any of the letters sent to you by them indicate that they were acting for Link Financial or Link Outsourcing?

You said you have found the letter saying it was assigned, does the letter provide any information about the agreement i.e. they refer to an XYZ agreement dated XYZ or does it just say that the agreement has been assigned?

Have you acknowledged the claim (can't see that you have mentioned this)?
                          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I was not aware of any commission or PPI. I don't even want to counter, I just want to close the door on my past
                            That's understandable.

I was thinking that if things go pear shaped (hopefully not) then any PPI refund due may be offset against the claim.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                              Have you acknowledged the claim (can't see that you have mentioned this)?
                              Apparently so

Fast-forward to today and I have submitted my acknowledgement of service online after receiving a letter from the county court business centre.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X