• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another mobile phone issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another mobile phone issue

A year ago I took out a phone contract for an LG G4 phone. A few weeks ago it began to experience the notorious bootloop error. A quick google revealed that LG has released a statement to the effect that the fault was an inherent manufacturing fault. They also said where effected and in contract with a carrier the phone should be returned to the carrier for repair.

So I duly returned the phone to the network provider for repair. Only to receive a call asking for about £140 to fix it.

In fairness my phone has received the lowest possible rating on its condition. But then I have had it a year. The company are claiming my damaging the phone voids the warranty provided. Although I would argue that chips and scratches are cosmetic.

However my understanding of the law and the warranty in question (which I don't have in front of me) is as follows:

If the phone is more than 6 months old the onus falls to the user to prove the inherent fault. I've done that, given that LG released a statement to that effect.

Further, given the phone costs in the region of £400 new I am entitled to expect a reasonable level of performance from said phone.

Also, the fault obviously predates the damage as it was present from the moment the phone rolled off the production line.

The damage to the phone does not relate to the fault. The bootloop on the G4 appears to be related to the solder used on the cpu stack. I will need to confirm, but I believe the warranty says it will be void where damage or misuse causes the fault. Which it clearly didn't.

I'm seeking a little clarity on this position before I push to much further. To be honest I have a friend who's an electrical engineer and may be able to fix it so I'm not sure this is worth the effort either way.

Thanks in advance,

Estrix
    Tags: None

Re: Another mobile phone issue

Just wanted to add the Vodafone repair warranty as displayed on their website:

Who's eligible?

This warranty offer applies to new Alcatel, Apple, Nokia, Sony, BlackBerry, LG, Samsung, Motorola, HTC and Huawei devices purchased from Vodafone on:
    • 24-months plans
    • 12-month plans
    • Month-by-Month plans
    • Prepaid

What does Vodafone's Repair Warranty cover me for?

Vodafone will repair devices which are found by Vodafone to be defective* during the two year warranty period. Repair means: the restoration of a broken, Damaged, or failed device, or part, to an acceptable operating or usable condition or state (using parts of a like kind and quality).
    You can make more than one claim for the same device during the Warranty Period.
    The Vodafone warranty covers your device for two years (even if you've since upgraded to another device with us). If you leave Vodafone, you'll no longer eligible to make a claim under the Vodafone warranty. You may still be covered by your manufacturer's warranty, so contact the manufacturer to check what's covered.
    *Defective means: during ordinary use, the device ceases to operate or function as set out in the relevant product manual or specifications, due to a defect in materials, design or workmanship but does not include physical damage or liquid ingress.
    Exclusions

A device that has broken down or is Damaged as a result of:
    • Abuse or tampering
    • Electrical damage, moisture, dampness, oxidation, corrosion or food, dirt or liquid ingress
    • Accident, neglect, impact, actual or attempted theft, fire, power outages or surges, or incorrect voltage
    • Transportation or packaging
    • Removable batteries or damage caused by battery leakage
    • Normal wear and tear
    • Unauthorised modifications including unauthorised third-party repairs
    • Misuse of the devices or failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions

The part that drew my attention was their definition of defective, as clearly the phone has defective materials (as LG admitted), and not a fault arising from misuses, despite their attempts to claim that as the case. Indeed, as stated above, the issue is not related to anything I did with the handset.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X