• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Very sad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very sad

I read this the other day and wasn't going to put it on here. It really saddened me.
    It was on TV about it this morning and I do think it should be made widely known. Just so we are aware how bad things can get for some and how we may just be able to see warning signs before it gets to this.

A pensioner downed 100 pills and half a bottle of brandy in an attempt to kill himself over an exorbitant - and incorrect - electricity bill.Walter Bargate, 84, was wrongly billed almost £7000 and then left for two nights in a cold, dark
    house without power.
    He was found in a coma at his home in Stockport, Greater Manchester, in February last year.
    Former RAF officer Mr Bargate, who has cataracts and clawed hands, could not get his newly installed pre-payment electricity meter to work.
    Daughter Sarah Hayes, 50, said he tried to end his life two days after it was installed.
    Ms Hayes discovered that her father had previously received a final demand for £6,600 from energy company E.ON.
    The bill covered four years of electricity use.
    But the meter from which it was calculated had not, it transpired, been wired correctly.
    Ms Hayes said her father left a suicide letter in which he called the energy company "the catalyst" for his decision.
    She said: "The thing I find almost impossible to countenance is the depth of despair that my father must have been in, and freezing cold in the dark at the end of February.
    "How desperate he must have been to take 100 pills and half a bottle of brandy, wrap himself up, and lie down on the sofa and wait to die."
    E.ON has since apologised for the "extreme distress" the matter caused Mr Bargate and his family.
    A spokeswoman said: "We were not made aware of Mr Bargate's medical condition and had we known of this, we would clearly have taken this into full consideration.
    "We've launched an inquiry into how this could happen in order that it does not occur again."
    E.ON has written off the outstanding balance and corrected the fault on Mr Bargate's meter.

Re: Very sad

OMG that poor man
    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

A spokeswoman said: "We were not made aware of Mr Bargate's medical condition and had we known of this, we would clearly have taken this into full consideration.
      errr balls
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I read this in the paper on Saturday and it made me think about today's children; brought up in the society that we have and how they would deal with a similar situation when they reach his age.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
          I read this in the paper on Saturday and it made me think about today's children; brought up in the society that we have and how they would deal with a similar situation when they reach his age.
          IMO Amy a big percentage of them wouldn't give a toss, certainly wouldn't consider suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
            IMO Amy a big percentage of them wouldn't give a toss, certainly wouldn't consider suicide.
            I agree.

Comment

OMG That poor man xxx
              Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
              Me VS Abbey Win
              BIL HSBC Credit Card
              BIL EGG
              BIL HSBC Loan
              BIL PPI Win

Comment

apparently as well when he tried to talk to someone about the bill he was either put on hold for ages or could not get through at all. And was obviously to proud or emabarrased to ask for help. I think eon also broke into the house to put in the prepayment meter.

We know that personal service is definitely a thing of the past with these companies
                "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

What a complete set of evil scumsucking *******s.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X