• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Question regarding possible dispute over parking fine and clamp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding possible dispute over parking fine and clamp

Hello all.

I was hoping to ask for some advice on a parking issue I have had to deal with recently. Here's the back story.

I moved house just over two years ago. As normal, I changed and updated everything I could remember to reflect my new address - all with exception to my Registered Keeper on my car log book. This is my oversight - I updated my Drivers License but completely forgot to do the log book.

A couple of weeks ago, while at work, my wife phoned me to tell me there had been a clamp placed on my car on my driveway with a letter stuck to the window. This happened some time between 9am and 3pm. My wife was home during this time. No one knocked on the door.

The letter was a 'Notice of Immobilisation' from Newlyn PLC and had instructions to call a person on their mobile phone. Intrigued, I called the number and was told that the car had been clamped due to an unpaid parking ticket issued by Colchester Council over a year ago! December 2015 to be precise. This being the first I had ever heard of it questioned the person as to why I have never been informed of an outstanding parking ticket. He then informed me this was due to not having updated my address on the log book and the letters going to my old home.

I asked for proof of what I was expected to pay. I was emailed a 'Warrant of Control – unpaid penalty charge' which stated the outstanding amount was £82. However, Newlyn PLC were demanding £392 to remove the clamp. I emailed the chap back and explained that I was under the impression I should have received some form of notice so I could have had a chance to pay the £82, at this point he became aggravated and emailed back saying if I did not pay the full amount that evening, he would be back at 7am the next day to tow my car away.

At this point, I made the full payment and asked for a receipt which he said he would post in the morning when he removed the clamp. Morning comes, clamp is off, but no receipt in the letter box. The payment was made by direct bank transfer.

Is there anything I can do to possibly retrieve some of this expense. I am aware it is my fault in some part for not keeping my log book address up to date but I find it hard to believe it is legal for them to clamp my car with zero warning and demand payment in less than 24 hours. I also notice he did not even knock at my door to explain the situation (a neighbor actually told me he saw the man clamp and run). This seems extremely deceptive.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X