• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problem with Barclays Bank - LOCKED CARD ABROAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem with Barclays Bank - LOCKED CARD ABROAD

Originally posted by MarieAbraham View Post
    They locked the card because they changed the address to one they should not have (a clerical error) and I subsequently failed security.
    The security bit IS an issue because if they cannot identify you then they cannot proceed with a call. However, the issue of making a mistake with the change of address could be quite a serious issue because clearly it might have had a knock on effect. Did you fail security because of the clerical error or because you simply didn't know the answer(I've kinda been there in terms of being asked for something and having to wrack my brains to work out what they are going on about.

I have NEVER been told about this freephone number by them.
    It's on their website. Here is the link: https://www.help.barclays.co.uk/faq/...em-abroad.html
    They had my number but never called me after locking it, and have refused to call my Thai number also.
    Apologies for the read but it's easier to distinguish my comments from your own one.
    Despite the clerical error, did they have an actual contact number for you on the date that they put a hold on your card?
    In regards to the Thai number, if they didn't identify you then they wouldn't have contacted you on that number since they can only use a number that is on bank records.
    Which number you did ring and whether they had to put you through to another department?
    Is the card working now? I know that hindsight is 20/20 but is the situation resolved so that the block on the card is now off since they realise that it is you and that you are overseas?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

They had my number but did not call.

They said they couldn't call the Thai number as they cannot call abroad.

The block has been removed but it's too late now isn't it?

Comment

They had my number but did not call.

They said they couldn't call the Thai number as they cannot call abroad.

The block has been removed but it's too late now isn't it?
        It's too late now to correct the issue. Have they told you whether it is their policy to ring a customer when there is a suspicious transaction abroad? If you contact details were on their system at the time of that block then there is two separate issues.

1) Failure to follow procedure lead to a delay in the block being taken off
        and
        2) Data Protection Act 1998 issue in regards to a clerical error. For example, if statements were sent out to the wrong address then that is an issue.

Comment

What are my legal grounds though?

Comment

What are my legal grounds though?
            As i have said before, I'm not sure that you have a legal case. You may have grounds for complaining to the bank if their procedure was wrong or something went wrong.
            If the clerical error stopped you being identified for their security questions then there is clearly a delay which may have caused you undue delay overseases, notwithstanding the fact that you may not told the bank you were going.
            If that clerical error wiped your phone number out as well during the period of delay then the banks own complaints process should entail compensation but they won't compensate you for everything except phone calls. Anything else was not a loss but was embarrassment.

Ok, I don't know because I would go through the banks own complaints procedures. Here is a case that MIGHT be similar to yours.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...ing_cases.html

Case is 63/04.

If the clerical error at their end made you fail their security questions then linking the two could be an issue.

Comment

They should already be treating your calls as a formal complaint according to FCA regulations. You do not have to write to a company for them to log a formal complaint. Complaints come under one of three categories, simplified they are:
              A grumble (no allegation of financial loss)
              A three day with agreeement (you alledge financial loss, but they rectified the situation within three days)
              Formal complaint

You have clearly alledged financial loss, so the clock for them started ticking from the first phone call where you said their actions have left you out pocket. They clearly aren't resolving it in three days so they should have issued a letter confirming they are investigating your complaint within 5 days of receiving it (which can be as little as you saying on a phone call "this has cost me money" or similar). They then have 8 weeks to investigate your complaint, at which point they have to send you a final decision letter. The final decision has to be sent by 8 weeks of you making the complaint, but can be sent earlier. They should also send you details on how to complain to FOS.

I'm guessing you won't know if they've sent you the 5 day acknowledgement or a final decision until you get home? But I think it will certainly be worth complaining to FOS and a lot simpler then trying a court approach. Also they will be charged £500 for the complaint going to FOS.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X