• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HBoS dragging out review of old PPI case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBoS dragging out review of old PPI case

My OH, several years ago, made a PPI claim to HBoS with respect to a credit card she once had. The claim dragged on for some considerable time, so much so that she forgot all about it. Eventually, HBoS wrote back in September 2015 informing of their decision not to pay out. It did, however, offer to have the decision reviewed internally. My wife wrote to HBoS that same month asking for the decision to be reviewed.

Several months later, in January 2016, the bank replied. In the letter, it stated that it was 'not in a position to give a final response due to awaiting the ‘FCA’s new rules and guidance…' and that it did not foresee a response being issued before the end of 2016. I wrote to the bank on 10 January this year, stating that a year had passed since my last correspondence and there had still been no decision on the review. Then, on 17 January, a letter arrived which informed me that the FCA consultation paper stated new rules and guidance would come into force in March this year. Bank says it will have to wait until then until it makes a decision.

I've glanced at the summary of the consultation document (didn't read the PDF: it was 170 pages long) and get the impression that HBoS is stalling yet again, maybe this time with good reason to protect itself.

To be honest, I'm tired of it all, as I'm the one who handled all the financial grief from 2004 onwards. It has ceased, now, and we have no debt bar our mortgage. But when I looked at correspondence on the laptop regarding this account the PPI request with the bank goes back as far as 2008 when it was known as good ol' Bank of Scotland! When faced with that, it's so easy to become jaded and just give up; it no longer seems worth the hassle and brain cells pursuing this.

Thoughts?
    Tags: None

Re: HBoS dragging out review of old PPI case

Have you tried Resolver? (Top of this thread).
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

No. Would this not confuse the issue, having another entity enter the fray?

Comment

Also look at OMBUDSMAN you could well end up there anyway even going through Resolver,

Comment

I've threatened them with the Ombudsman twice over this issue. Re-reading the letter of 17 January the bank states it will respond to me by end of Summer. So, by then it will be two years and no decision whether to offer a review of the outcome. And who's to say further 'guidance' from the most helpful FCA won't be forthcoming in the months to come that will allow the bank to 'consult and review', enabling them to stall even further?

I still think the banks are being protected.

Comment

If you have threatened I would follow it through, bearing in mind it may be a long while with the ombudsman too.

Comment

Yeah, I know that, unfortunately. The FOS took a year to extract housing insurance payout from the same mob!

Comment

Well, I let all that lapse, bar responding to occasional updates but then, out of the blue, HBOS fire us over settlements for several accounts that had PPI allocated to them in days gone by. To say I was amazed is an understatement! The OH's account was not covered in this settlement but it does show that persistent nagging for reviews does indeed pay off!

Comment

HBoS still advising, after 3 years, that they are not in a position to make a decision on OH's account so have today contacted the FO.

Three years to review a PPI claim? Really? And no end in sight?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X