• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

TRAVELBOI - Cabot/MC - HP with British Credit Trust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TRAVELBOI - Cabot/MC - HP with British Credit Trust

Originally posted by travelboi View Post
    Hi
    Cabot Were not included.
    I haven't acknowledged a debt with them since they purchased it in 2013...I have received letters off them just stating please contact us about your account but as far as I was aware I didn't hold an account with them so I ignored Letters.
    So is it worth me defending the debt which they have bought off British credit trust or should I just admit to it, and hope they accept entering Into the DMP?
    I could defend it and hope they don't have the correct documentation but what are the chances of that? And if they do have the correct documentation can I change my plea and then admit to the debt at a later stage and would they then still accept instalment payment?
    Thanks
    Be fair to yourself do the CCA request then if it proves to be enforceable you can decide on making an offer.

nem

Comment

Ok thanks for your help
      Once I send the CCA request how long have they to reply?
      As I will need to defend around the 20th Feb.
      Thanks

Comment

is it worth me defending the debt which they have bought off British credit trust or should I just admit to it, and hope they accept entering Into the DMP?
        I could defend it and hope they don't have the correct documentation but what are the chances of that? And if they do have the correct documentation can I change my plea and then admit to the debt at a later stage and would they then still accept instalment payment?
        I'm bound to say that it's always worth defending a claim but you don't have to make that decision yet. Wait to see how things pan out.

Someone on the forum will guide you through the initial steps with links to the letters they'll suggest you send.

Since the value of the claim is less than £10k this case is likely to be allocated to the Small Claims Track where neither party pays the other side's legal costs regardless of whether they win or lose (unless they've behaved unreasonably). The debt won't get any bigger unless they're adding daily interest.

You ought to be offered free telephone Mediation by the court if you want to settle. This is only available after you have filed a Defence and if the other side agree to mediate too (they usually do). If you reach an agreement at Mediation it is not a CCJ although it is legally binding. Unless you breach that settlement you need not fear bailiffs, a Charging Order or an Attachment of Earnings.

So why not do what needs to be done with request letters and see what comes back before deciding to throw in the towel.

You'll also get help from the forum on how to prepare your Defence.

Di

Comment

Ok thanks for your help
          Thanks
          Hi,

They have 12 + 2 working days to comply so send by signed for post to Cabot + £1 fee. Non compliance renders the debt unenforceable Until the agreements can be produced.

Also send MC the CPR 31.14 request which has a 7 days timescale,

nem

Comment

What is the claim Issue Date (top right hand corner of the front page of the summons)?

You have 33 days from that date to your Defence deadline. The Defence is not filed until close to that date in case new information comes to light. People often worry when the Claimant hasn't complied with the s.77-79 CCA Request by the time they need to do their Defence, when actually it's a good thing if they haven't because that becomes your Defence (non compliance with CCA Request).

You've said that this may have been HP which may fall under s.79 so that needs to be clarified before you send that request letter. Or to be safe you can put s.77-79 on the letter because the Claimant (Cabot) may not know what the debt was originally. Don't give them any clues

Post/type up the Particulars of Claim so someone can guide you on what you need to put in your CPR 31.14 Request letter.

Di

Comment

And it was definitely HP agreement

Comment

Also, with the CPR I just request the agreement as that is all it says in the particulars of claim?
                it doesn't mention anything about default or assignment
                Thanks

Comment

Also who do I make the postal order payable to?
                  cabot?

Comment

Also, with the CPR I just request the agreement as that is all it says in the particulars of claim?
                    it doesn't mention anything about default or assignment
                    Thanks
                    If there's no other document mentioned other than the agreement that's all you can request.

Please type in the POC word for word just to be sure there's nothing useful.

nem

Comment

"By an agreement between BRITISH CREDIT TRUST & the Defendant on ir around 24/01/2007 ('the agreement') BRITISH CREDIT TRUST agreed to loan the Defendant monies. The Defendant did not pay the installments as they fell due & the Agreement was terminated. The agreement was assigned to the Claimant. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 3686.86

Comment

Also do I send both MC & Cabot the CPR request or just MC?

Comment

"By an agreement between BRITISH CREDIT TRUST & the Defendant on ir around 24/01/2007 ('the agreement') BRITISH CREDIT TRUST agreed to loan the Defendant monies. The Defendant did not pay the installments as they fell due & the Agreement was terminated. The agreement was assigned to the Claimant. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 3686.86
                          You can ask for the termination notice and the notice of assignment + the agreement the claimant has to show that the " events" took place.

- - - Updated - - -

Also do I send both MC & Cabot the CPR request or just MC?
                          CCA to claimant CPR to MC.

nem

Comment

Thanks so much

Comment

Thanks so much
                              Keep us up to date please.
                              For reference you can find specimen defences in the green box as well.

nem

Comment

I will do thanks
                                do you know who I make postal order to?
                                is it Cabot financial UK ltd or do I leave it Blank

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X