• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

News-Equality

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News-Equality

New Transparency To Reveal Pay Gap

Updated:14:08, Thursday June 26, 2008
    Women and ethnic minority job candidates will be given increased chances of employment under new Government plans.

What's the real pay gap?

The new Equalities Bill will also force employers to reveal salary structures to make the pay gap between men and women clearer.
    Equality Minister Harriet Harman defended the positive discrimination telling Sky News there was still too much "old-fashioned" bias in the work place.
    "A part-time woman still earns 40% less per hour than a man working full-time," she said. "Are women 40% less intelligent? 40% less committed?"
    The minister told GMTV: "There might be controversy but you don't get progress if there isn't a bit of a push forward."
    The Bill will also stop pensioners being denied NHS treatment because of their age.
    Ministers to put an end to complaints from pensioners who are fobbed off by GPs and denied insurance.
    Doctors will, however, still be able to refuse older patients treatment if they believe there are sound clinical reasons to do so.
    Ministers hope the Bill will put ageism on a par with racism and promote a new era of openness on pay.

The Bill will also introduce rights for breastfeeding mothers to feed their babies in public.
    Liberal Democrat youth and equality spokeswoman Lynne Featherstone criticised the Bill saying the Government needed to address the discrepancy between rules on pay for the public and private sector.
    "Without compulsory pay audits for the private sector these proposals will represent a very real victory for the hawks in the cabinet," she said.
    "Public sector equality rights are fast becoming an ivory tower that private sector employees can only dream of.
    "A few tick-box questionnaires for Government suppliers on their equality policy are going to do little to change the day-to-day opportunities for the 20 million people who work in the private sector."
    Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
    Me VS Abbey Win
    BIL HSBC Credit Card
    BIL EGG
    BIL HSBC Loan
    BIL PPI Win

Re: News-Equality

I totally agree with equal opportunities and equal rights but...............

Shouldn`t each candidate for a position be judged on their merits individually and not be subjected to whether or not they tick the right "equalities" buttons for the companies statistics, this seems to me that (for example) a white, male candidate could be discriminated against for the sake of satisfying PR statistics. Suddenly, me as a white male, seem to be turning into an ethnic and sexual discrimination target. Give the right person the job for the right reasons, not just to keep the bleaters happy.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X