• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

An interesting one, maybe

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting one, maybe

.... Or is CB just being a burger

Right, this is more of an exercise in DPA than anything else, but I welcome any comments/suggestions.

Now my company wants to introduce parking permits to use the site car park.
    Now I can understand this, but to be supplied with a permit I must show my drivers licence AND insurance documents, which they will then copy and place in my HR file.

Now obviously I don't want this to happen as I believe it is a breach of my privacy and is NOT a requirement of my employment, after all I'm an IT manager and NOT a professional driver.

So I was thinking of using DPA to stop this happening as the contraol of personal data is pitiful to say the least. If these documents were to fall into the wrong hands then who knows what could happen.

I can think of NO requirements in employment or health & safety law that would require me to prove I can legally drive my car.

So I'm think an s10 here (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/ukpga_19980029_en_3#pt2-l1g10)

After all if this information was "lost" then who knows what.

would s10 be of use here to assert my rights to them NOT taking a physical copy of my information.
    I don't mind them seeing it, but I draw the line at a copy.

So come on, I'm in a bolshe mood

Re: An interesting one, maybe

Do you work for a big company ?

ie. would it cause any problems if you make a malarky out of it

(I do agree with u tho)
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The only reason i can see is to ensure that if there are any vehicular incidents, that the driver of the car has valid documents and that the company can provide documents to the authorities if necessary.

Do the employees have a habit of crashing their cars in the car park.

I would be very wary of this though and i think i would be asking questions as to why they need a record of the info, fair enough just showing it to obtain the permit initially, as then it could be seen that they are discouraging staff to drive illegally

PKea

Comment

I work for a global company, but my division is only about 80 people.

PK, while I can see what you are saying about liability in the case of an accident, this is far outside of any companies remit of employment, surely.

I like to kick up a stink about these sort of things were I believe our rights are being abused.

I had a similar run in were they tried to mandate when staff could have a smoke break.
        Now I don't have any sort of set break time, nor even a lunch break, and yet they attempted to say that any time I had for smoking would be made up later in the day.

Well I believed that this was unreasonable, and refsued to sign the adjustment.
        I made it very clear that should they wish to mandate this I would happily take it to tribunal

Comment

You do not have any rights in relation to smoke breaks. An employee who works more than six hours per day has the statutory right to a rest break of at least 20 minutes away from their workstation under the Working Time Regulations 1998 and you must not be prevented from having your break, but that is all. Should you take extra breaks to smoke, it is entirely reasonable that you make up that time. A tribunal would not find for you in these circumstances. (See Dryden v. Greater Glasgow Health Board 1992)

As for the purpose of your post I fail to see what you hope to achieve. If you object to providing the information they request then you will not have a parking permit issued to you - how much do you want the permit?

Comment

What I object to is them taking a copy of my information to go in my file.
            As I already mentioned, I don't have any issue with them confirming the required documentation exists.

I know for a fact that the way personal information is dealt with is absolutely shocking and private documents regularly "go missing". Hence wanting to safe guard yet more of it.

Comment

where did i read the thread about 'crown copyright'? was it on here?

something to do with photocopying drivers licence or passports etc, who can/cant do it and why.

will have a scout about for it and see if it is relevant.

I agree, and would not like my details stored on file, for what purpose?

so that if someone complains you scratched their car (which you didnt of course) HR can did out your insurance details and pass them on? That wouldnt work would it.

If it is proof they need, what do the post office do when you go in for a tax disc? they look at the documents, check them for authenticity if required and certify they have been provided. They dont feel the need to copy them and store said copy.

I would certainly argue if it was me in your shoes CB

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X