• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PLease urgent help!! attachement of earnings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLease urgent help!! attachement of earnings

HI, I need some urgent advice.

Before I came to this forum I wrongly ignored court papers. I however dealt with them when I received the ccj. trying to avoid an attachment of earnings and sent an copy of income and expenditure together with N56 to court over the xmas period. However for some reason they said that it not arrived on time and sent to local court for attachment of earnings.
    I recevive a letter from them asking me to fill in some details and I returned it a day or two late but when I phoned the court they said it would not matter too much as they were behind.

The thing is that last week I was called by admin person saying that they had received a letter from the court regarding the attachement of earnings. so I thought ok that is it.

Well not really as today I ve received this letter dated 18th January. I have attached it here.

My questions are:
    1- the first time I was given the ccj the court decided for me to pay £50 a month. Unfortunately with Xmas madness i forgot so i missed the first payment hence the attachment. But when I responded to N56 I offered £31 based on income and expenditure. Now the court says I have to pay £188 a month?

2- it says if I keep payment my employer wont be told about the attachment. But my employer already knows. and the first payment I am supposed to make is not till End of February?

3- Can I change the amount to at least the original £50 as I dont know how this court can decide on the amount of £188.

4- it says I have 16 days from date of letter. I have only received it today?????
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: PLease urgent help!! attachement of earnings

Your upload shows a Suspended Attachment of Earnings Order.

This should mean that the court made an Order but also Suspended it at the same time so it won't kick in unless you break the terms of the Order.

i can't comment on the terms of the order because I can't read it (the image is fuzzy wuzzy).

It's also not clear from your post whether you have made an Application to Vary the original CCJ which may be an option for you.

Di

Comment

[MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] thank you for your post.

It is a suspended Attachment of Earning Order indeed.

So back in December I got a letter from the court ordering me to pay £50 a month till debt was payed. I stupidily forgot to make the payments. so the court sent me a N56 which I returned asking to lower my offer to £31 a month
      Then I received a letter from the court saying I had not replied in time so they were sending the case to local court for attachment of earning.
      I then receive a letter from local court asking me to fill in some gaps in my N56 which I did and returned.

Now the next thing I hear is a letter for request of statement of earning has been sent to my employer dated 16th January.
      Today I receive this other letter saying I must make monthly payments of £188 a month to avoid the attachment of earnings

The letter says (sorry I will attache a better copy later tonite) that if any part is not happy with the arrangement I must write to the court with my reasons and a hearing will take place.

Ok, so I know now that there is not as yet an attachment of earnings as I requested for it not to happen. However they have ignored my offer of payment and have made it 6 times bigger????
      I don't want to have to attend a hearing and I have to pay but any chance of getting this payements lowered? the original order was for £50. who decides on this amounts and how?

The letter says also that my employer wont be told and order has been made against me but my employer had already been contacted 2 days prior to this letter being typed?

nafta

Comment

A lot will depend on what you put on your form about Income & Expenditure. Do you have a Sky Subscription - if so & it includes any more than the basic package you will be expected to reduce it. Other payments you make will also be considered and it may be expected you lower these to the bare minimum - Credit Cards & Store Cards for instance.

Comment

[MENTION=26498]ploddertom[/MENTION] thank you for your response.
          So there is no way for me to lower this payments? and how does the first court come up with the figure of £50. My income and expenditure was done with the help of Nationaldebtline . they sais the court would accept my amounts as they were fair?
          The N56 I had to returned only had my income my husbands DLA and our rent, phone and other bits and pieces. NO sign of non-priority debts.

Comment

If you showed DLA on it as Income did you also show the same amount as expenditure? This is what I usually use for I&E https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/quickfs.asp but also know a lot of the Courts will only accept their own sheet. Confusing or what.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
              If you showed DLA on it as Income did you also show the same amount as expenditure? This is what I usually use for I&E https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/quickfs.asp but also know a lot of the Courts will only accept their own sheet. Confusing or what.
              [MENTION=26498]ploddertom[/MENTION] thanks for the link!
              It is sooo confusing! When I filled the N56 I wrote on the form to see forms attached as there was little room for anything in there. That must have been my first mistake!! I did put down the DLA as income and I put it on expenditure as adult care costs. The things is that they have not looked at the forms I sent so they have they just said she earns so much their rent is so much so she pays £188. they dont know what costs I have with two children etc.

I guess my question here is can I ask the court to revise the payment without having to attend a hearing? IS there a form I can fill in asking the court to accept a lower offer? I have only 16 days from date in letter and letter was dated 18/01/2017

Comment

You may ask at any time for it to be varied although I am not too sure which form you use. Normally to apply for a Variation Order you would us Form N245 - cost £50 or this may be classed as a Re-Determination for which you may have to use Form N244 - cost £255 or £100 without a Hearing. In both cases you may qualify to have the costs waived in part or in full for which you will need Forms EX160a & EX160c.

Hopefully others can guide you as to which route you need.

Comment

[MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] is looks like this is one `I am going to have to admit defeat? Or in this circumstances I can do a variation order which seems to be the cheapest one?

Comment

I can't answer that but I can ask whether you own your home (albeit mortgaged or possibly jointly owned) to try to establish the overall situation you face?

Sometimes a creditor with a CCJ will choose an AOE for enforcement in preference to a Charging Order if there are no assets. Since October 2012 a Claimant can obtain a CO on a property for any CCJ over £1k. (This makes me mad as hell but that's another story.)

You have another thread with your other debts so maybe @Debt Camel will be able to offer a holistic view since those other debts appear to be relatively recent (i.e. not opened before April 2007).

Di
                    Last edited by Diana M; 26th January 2017, 19:26:PM. Reason: Working on my tagging technique:)

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                      I can't answer that but I can ask whether you own your home (albeit mortgaged or possibly jointly owned) to try to establish the overall situation you face?

*I have no assests

Sometimes a creditor with a CCJ will choose an AOE for enforcement in preference to a Charging Order if there are no assets. Since October 2012 a Claimant can obtain a CO on a property for any CCJ over £1k. (This makes me mad as hell but that's another story.)

You have another thread with your other debts so maybe @Debt Camel will be able to offer a holistic view since those other debts appear to be relatively recent (i.e. not opened before April 2007).

Di
                      Two credit cards were opened in 2007. the last one was 2013.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry , and I have to say I have no assets.

Comment

Could you list all your debts, saying for each what sort of debt, when account was opened, how much is owed, when you last think you made a payments to it, what stage any legal proceedings are at.

What advice were you given about bankruptcy? There is no reason why you can't go bankrupt and have a self emplyed job. NB I'm not saying it is a good idea, but an AoE will leave you little room to manoevre to stop other creditors taking you to court.

Comment

Thank you [MENTION=48934]Debt Camel[/MENTION] for your advice. I m at the moment writing creditors requesting CCA so I know where I stand with them.Hopefully the cannot produce one and that will give me some breathing space so I can deal with so many other issues. I am currently preparing for an appeal for my husband's PIP. like many others he has lost the high rate mobility and therefore the car
                          However I will put all that information on paper and see where we go from there?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X