• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mercedes after 5k in excess mileage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes after 5k in excess mileage

Hi, I'm a new poster so go easy.
    ive recently VTd my car with a reasonably hefty excess mileage and have taken much of ROB's advice on how to go about this.
    when being issued with the invoics I used the template letter posted earlier in the thread, Mercedes then raised a 'complaint and I received this response:

Thank you for taking the time to raise your concerns with our De-Fleet department following the return of your vehicle.

I was disappointed to read you have been left feeling aggrieved by the end of contract charges raised. It is never our intention to cause any distress to our customers at any stage of their journey with us.

Whilst I appreciate your concerns; whether you are returning your car at the end of your agreement or upon use of the Voluntary Termination (VT) clause, as you have not exercised your right to purchase the car, an excess mileage charge will be raised should your return mileage exceed your total mileage allowance. This obligation is set out within the first page of your agreement, under key information. The provisions of the Consumer Credit Act that cover a customer’s right to VT their agreement do permit us to include any over mileage when determining what is 'not reasonable' upon the cars return. It is stated in your agreement under ‘Excess Distance’; ‘If the vehicle is returned to us (whether at the end of the period hire or an earlier termination), we will calculate the total distance travelled by the vehicle whilst in your possession (the “Total Distance”)’.

Your mileage allowance has therefore been re-calculated on a pro-rata basis in line with the length of time you have had the vehicle in your possession and I have attached a copy of the Voluntary Termination acceptance form signed by you confirming your agreement to be held liable for any damages or excess mileage following an inspection of your vehicle.

Please find below a breakdown of your excess mileage calculation for your reference:

Original Allowance: 40,000 miles
    Original Miles: 37,000 miles
    Total allowance: 77,000 miles (40,000 + 37,000)
    Term of agreement: 48 months
    Terminated early by: 15 months
    Revised allowance: 64,521 miles (27,521 + 37,000)
    Collection miles: 111,730 miles
    Exceeded by: 47,209 miles
    Pence per mile: 9 pence, plus VAT
    Total: £5,098.57

I would also like to kindly refer you to S99 (2) Consumer Credit Act 1974 where it states:

‘Termination of an agreement under S (1) does not affect any liability under the agreement which has accrued before the termination.’

As your agreement was subject to a mileage allowance prior to termination and you have exceeded the allowance of 64,521 miles, the charge has been raised correctly and remains payable.

I understand this is an unexpected invoice and I am happy to assist you with clearing the outstanding balance by agreeing to an appropriate payment arrangement with you. I kindly ask you contact one of our advisors on 0370 240 1110 who would be happy to assist you with this.

Whilst this may not be the response you had hoped for, I trust the above has provided you with the reassurance that I have fully investigated your concerns. Please also be assured that your complaint has been investigated in line with our obligation to treat our customers fairly.

May I kindly ask you accept this as our final response, however, should you be at all unhappy with our handling of your complaint you have the right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service, free of charge – but you must do so within six months of the date of this response. If you do not refer your complaint in time, the Ombudsman will not have our permission to consider your complaint and so will only be able to do so in very limited circumstances. For example, if the Ombudsman believes that the delay was as a result of exceptional circumstances.

The form that I supposedly signed was altered by me and where it originally read:
    'i be liable for any excess mileage'

i had scrubbed it out and wrote in:
    'Anything not considered fair wear and tear'

BEAR WITH ME

I responded with this:

Hannah,

I would like to point out that at point of sale I was told that including a mileage of 10,000 was the only way to fit the vehicle into my budget and that the mileage is not really important however because I may terminate early due to my work situation. On close reading of the CCA it seems unlikely that your claim against me would be successful.

My reasoning is as follows:
    Section 100 of the CCA says that my contractural liability is restricted to 50% of the total amount payable and so you would find it difficult enforce excess mileage charges under the contractual term. The relevant reasons are set out in section 173 CCA. The term in the agreement is conflicted with my limited liability and so the CCA prevails over the contractual term.
    You said in your email:-
    'I have attached a copy of the Voluntary Termination acceptance form signed by you confirming your agreement to be held liable for any damages or excess mileage following an inspection of your vehicle.'

And use this as evidence that I had accepted liability for excess mileage PRIOR to termination whereas if you actually look at the form you will see that I accepted no such liability. In fact it could be argued that this form should have made you aware that I was not accepting liability for the excess mileage.
    Therefore where you said:-

‘Termination of an agreement under S (1) does not affect any liability under the agreement which has accrued before the termination.’

This clause would not extend to excess mileage because I was not invoiced PRIOR to termination of the agreement and in deed was only made aware of the invoice after it was terminated. This supposed liability does not form part of the monthly instalments and so for you to be entitled to recover this, you should only be entitled to do so if I were asked to pay for it BEFORE I terminated the agreement. Otherwise I may have chosen not to terminate.
    There is no quid pro quo here and had I been under the mileage allowance I would not have been entitled to claim liabilities from you.

The CCA is quite clear in stating that ,subject to fair wear and tear, I may hand the car back with 'nothing more to pay' on the assumption that the car is kept in a reasonable condition and is kept in good repair.
    The car has been regularly serviced by Mercedes and allowing for the odd small dent which is normal for a car of that age /mileage, it is in a good condition.

I look forward to you confirming closure on the matter.

i have since had no response since last Thursday (5 days ago)
    ive had no acknowledgement of my email
    i since sent again and asked for acknowledgement and didn't receive any
    just now I sent an email asking for a signed copy of my agreement

anyone got any useful advice as to how I ought to proceed as it seems to me from what I've read on here that the ombudsman usually is little help!

thanks for being patient with me
    Tags: None

Re: Mercedes after 5k in excess mileage

You could continue to press them on it, also keep an eye on your credit file in case they issue a default on there, at which point you would have a claim for breach of data protection.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

So even though they have said
      "May I kindly ask you accept this as our final response", you think they may continue to engage?
      looks to me like a statement saying 'that's that'

its very poor if they wont even engage me about the fact they are pointing to a letter that has been amended by me before signing it, without even looking at it.

sounds like the ombudsman are not very much use in this matter

they have literally ignored my attempts at contact since this email

Comment

"May I kindly ask you accept this as our final response"
        Strictly speaking, it doesn't say that it is their final response but merely confirms as to whether you accept it as the final response, which doesn't prevent you from making a further response.

You could write back and say that they have failed to address your issues, but for the avoidance of doubt you repeat them in the letter/email, and kindly ask that they respond to your points as to why the excess mileage overrides the CCA and the contractual term inserted in there which says once you have complied with XYZ, you will pay nothing more. The words 'nothing more' means just that, it doesn't mean contractual charges for breach of the excess mileage clause.

When you read section 99 and 100 together, the definition of total price carves out your liability in that it cannot include compensation or damages for breach of the agreement. You could give them a deadline to respond and say that if you do not hear back from them on the address points you shall assume that their lack of response is taken to be accepted that no further liability exists. You could also put them on notice to say that if they carry out a future act or otherwise which causes a loss or damage to you, then you will not hesitate in bringing legal proceedings against them.

The Ombudsman don't really have a clue and you could try them but they always avoid the gist of the complaints. Just because it is in the contract does not mean it always applies, especially when the clause conflicts with another clause which says you will pay nothing more. You can make the complaint if you wish or leave it as above, and then just keep an eye on things in case the finance company does something to your credit file.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I'm going to leave them a few days and then I will try what you have suggested

Comment

Originally posted by Trouserkoff View Post
            I'm going to leave them a few days and then I will try what you have suggested
            well....
            got this email today:
            Thank you for your email; please accept my sincere apologies for the delay of my response.

Whilst I appreciate your interpretation of the Consumer Credit Act, I am confident that the provisions of the Act allow us to raise an invoice for excess mileage and for this reason, my position remains unchanged and a payment of £5,104.08 is required in order to bring this matter to a close.

I note you intend to refer your concerns to the Financial Ombudsman Service and I have requested a copy of your signed agreement as requested. Once received, I will forward this to you.

I would kindly ask that you provide your reference number for the Financial Ombudsman Service by return email so that I can ensure your file is actioned accordingly.

Kind regards,

Hannah Ewing
            De-Fleet Complaints Administrator

is there really any hope of the ombudsman finding in my favour??

i have no photos of the vehicles condition and their inspection was incomplete due to the car being dirty and I didn't sign it anyway.
            having said that, they are only claiming excess mileage as being liabilities becoming due prior to termination.
            Last edited by Trouserkoff; 26th January 2017, 21:19:PM.

Comment

Regardless of what Hannah says, she is wrong. Your termination statement clause is unequivocally clear in that once you satisfy the requirements, you will pay nothing more. There is nothing within this clause which says excess mileage is recoverable. As for the CCA, several sections need to be read together to determine your liability.

Section 99(2) says that VT does not affect liability accrued before termination which is fine. For example at this point you may have outstanding instalments to be paid and excess mileage charges for namesake.

Section 100(1) confirms your liability is one half of the total price payable under the agreement. The definition of 'total price' covers the total sum payable under the agreement, but excludes any sums which are considered a penalty charger, compensation or for damages for breaching the terms of the agreement.

Section 173 says that any contractual term which overrides any right or liability under the CCA, is void and unenforceable. That would therefore mean excess mileage falls under damages for breach of the agreement, so they can't be claimed. They can however claim back any unpaid monthly instalments which are due but have not been paid.

I can't see how they can claim excess mileage if they don't know what that excess is until after termination, so it couldn't have accrued immediately before termination because they wouldn't know if there is any excess mileage is incurred until after the car has been returned and the agreement terminated - it is too uncertain. Their wording is an attempt to circumvent the limited liability under section 100, which is therefore not enforceable.

Although Hannah feels confident they can charge, she is wrong for the reasons above. In terms of your choices, you can complain to the Ombudsman, if they don't side with you then you can still reject their decision which means you are not legally obliged to pay any monies unless they take you to court and you lose. So you can effectively sit back and do nothing, but it would not surprise me if they try and put a default on your credit file as a way to put on pressure or coerce you to pay up and admit it is owed.

As a side note, you may perhaps wish to make sure the car is clean and you take plenty of photos if you VT another car in the future. If you don't, it just makes your arguments much more difficult to prove.
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

"so you can effectively sit back and do nothing"

so so after all their threats....referring to debt recovery, threatening bayliffs and CCJs......what you're saying is that it comes down to the fact that they have to take me to court to enforce my liability.....and they won't do that because they'll lose??

how big a deal is it if they issue a default.....is it hard to get it removed??

am I right in thinking you're saying that I can just hang back and wait to see what they do next??

Comment

I say it lightly because it appears quite common for them to apply a default which they will insist that they are entitled to do so, but they do it in the knowledge that many people may threaten to go to court but in the end will probably not commit to it.

I have an ongoing claim at the moment, where a finance co. applied a default not for excess mileage but for collection charges - I called their bluff and within days of submitting the claim and their intention of fully defending it, they've come back with an offer to settle.

It is a game of chess and whether the little guy is willing to take a punt at the bigger companies. If you think about it, when a judge reads the termination statement that doesn't mention the words excess mileage (but does mention outstanding instalments) and providing that statement is satisfied, it would be difficult how he/she could interpret that excess mileage is also recoverable. It's not in the sentence and as I've said above, it's very clear that you will pay nothing more, you simply can't interpret that in any other way however hard you try!

The ball is in their court, and they may threaten or apply a default in which case the choice is yours, call their bluff and if a default is applied then you take them to court for breach of data protection, or you simply pay them back what they say is owed.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

If you take them to court for breach of data protection....what sort of outcome do you expect?..is it a straightforward reversal or do they have to give you compensation?

when you say "they applied a default and you called their bluff".....did the default actually hit your credit record?

the "offer to settle".....was it an acceptance that you have no liability at all or a reduction in their invoice?

Comment

Their defence as I see it and as admitted by their solicitor is that the contract terms allowed for them to recover the collection charges, so they could apply a default, yet they want to settle to avoid costs, though I am inclined to think the reason is a weak defence.

Yes the defaults have hit my credit file and has been on there for over a year, reduced me from excellent rating to poor.

They have offered admission of no liability along with a sum of compensation which is a very low ball offer, and to remove the defaults from my credit report. The amount of damages is the sticking point at the moment.

I am expecting a court to side with me on this point. The CCA overrides the contractual terms, and they could only claim back the collection charge if I didn't terminate the contract and followed through to the end.
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

So even if I get a positive outcome, there's a chance that I may have a default on my account for as long as a year?

To be placed under pressure to pay under threat of ruining of credit file 😡

Did you inform them that you'd bring a claim against them if they did this?

Which car finance company is it, is it mercy by any chance?

Comment

My issue was slightly different, they said they removed it initially but then didn't bother and I didn't notice it, hence it being on there for some time.

The finance company in question is Santander.

As I said, the ball is in your court as to what you do and don't do. If you keep an eye on your credit report, you can react to it quickly but some people prefer not to go to court. I did inform them I'd bring a claim, and they ignored me, so bigger fool them.
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

When you say that they said they removed it initially.....was that under threat that you'd bring a claim?
                            (I can handle a month but not 3-6)

With regards to them taking me to court to get the excess mileage charges, you've said on quite a number of different occasions on this site that it doesn't ever get to court and that it's usually dropped....you still stand by that?

Comment

yes I threatened them, they said the charges were removed and account closed but the defaults remained on there. If you can only handle a month then your only option really is to pay up because going to court can be as long as 6 months if not more.

I am not aware of anyone on here being taken to court for excess mileage nor am i aware of any court case. That's not to say it will never happen, but perhaps there's a reason why? If the claim is £5,000 for excess mileage that would be a reasonable amount to issue legal proceedings. Others on here have not had such a high amount of charges and don;t appear to have been taken to court, just default markers.
                              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X