• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Extension of Thread 'Hello - Claim Form received from Northampton CC Business Centre'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension of Thread 'Hello - Claim Form received from Northampton CC Business Centre'

Hi [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION]

I've been wanting to respond more fully ever since your last reply to me, but for some reason encountered problems.

I have had to start a new thread to get around it.

Basically, I'm not happy with the way the sols have responded, as they are focusing only on getting a signature from me. I do not trust their actions.

Thank you for sending the strip. Is it effective to use?

With regards to electronic signatures, I just wondered whether you were familiar with the eIDAS Regulations and/or the Electronic Communications Act 2000?

Rgds,
    HS.
    Tags: None

Re: Extension of Thread 'Hello - Claim Form received from Northampton CC Business Cen

Originally posted by Helpseeker02 View Post
    Hi @charitynjw

I've been wanting to respond more fully ever since your last reply to me, but for some reason encountered problems.

I have had to start a new thread to get around it.

Basically, I'm not happy with the way the sols have responded, as they are focusing only on getting a signature from me. I do not trust their actions.

Thank you for sending the strip. Is it effective to use?
    I can only say that I have used it on many occasions & have had no problems.

With regards to electronic signatures, I just wondered whether you were familiar with the eIDAS Regulations and/or the Electronic Communications Act 2000?

Rgds,
    HS.
    Could you clarify your query/concern regarding the quoted Regs & Act?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: Extension of Thread 'Hello - Claim Form received from Northampton CC Business Cen

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Could you clarify your query/concern regarding the quoted Regs & Act?
      Yes, sure.
      I did a little research to find out if in law a typed signature is as valid as a handwritten one, and came across the above regulation(s) and act.

With eIDAS, they established electronic signature regulations where many countries and companies comply, including those in the legal profession.

With The Electronic Communications Act 2000, it confirms the legal status of electronic signatures (ss.7-10). Please see link here => http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...0000007_en.pdf
      Especially at Part II about electronic signature ~ "7.—(1) In any legal proceedings" which I believe maybe on page 7.

So my question is:
      If these acts and companies offering this service to their business clients, are valid and viable for companies to use, then how is it that a business operating as a Solicitors are threatening to:

1. not acknowledge my letter sent to them?
      2. nor provide a response?

They actually sent back my letter to me, without referring at all to my admonishment of using the CCA £1 Statutory fee as a payment and for requesting a discontinuance of their claim.

Regards,
      HS.
      Last edited by Helpseeker02; 23rd January 2017, 11:17:AM. Reason: updated sentence

Comment

Hi Helpseeker

Apologies for the delay in responding.........internet problems!
        They actually sent back my letter to me
        How is the quoted 2000 Act applicable?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

If the Solicitor refuses to accept an electronic signature what do you do take them to Court?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
            If the Solicitor refuses to accept an electronic signature what do you do take them to Court?
            Hi wales01man,

I have never come across this situation before, so I don't know.

Comment

Not sure why you would want to take them to court, though in some circumstances there may be a reason if you needed the documents. But if they refuse to provide it within the prescribed period after sending the request, then the they cannot enforce the claim. ss77-79 whichever you use (as I read it), says that you must send the credit a request in writing, but does not specify that it must be signed. Crucially, it does say that a signed statement must be provided by the creditor and so if the CCA meant that the request must be signed in writing then it would have explicitly said so.

The legislation you referring to does indeed confirm electronic signatures as having legal effect for the purpose of legal proceedings (though I am inclined to think a CCA request is one under statute not legal proceedings per se). It also sets out the difference between simple and advanced e-signatures. Simple signatures being the name typed out on the bottom of the document or an advanced one would need to be complied with in accordance with the relevant provisions, though it does say that if advanced signatures don't comply with the requirements they shouldn't be denied their effect in legal proceedings.

Anyway, if you sent a letter to them which referenced the £1 fee for the request made under the relevant section of the CCA then by using for another purpose, they have wrongly appropriated the payment - their fault not yours and they just appear to be trying it on.

Regardless of the fact that they are demanding a signature from you, you could easily point out that there is no legal obligation to do so and you require them to refer you to the relevant section under ss77-79 state the requirement. Otherwise your request is recognised (even more so presumably if they have corresponded with you?) and their attempt to frustrate your request is unreasonable conduct to which you will refer the court to this letter when it comes to the issue of costs.

Wouldn't see any reason to get into a slagging match with them.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION],

Thank you very much for your input and I must state that I am not looking to take them to court.

It has taken them 11 months to send me the 'first batch' of information, and there is still paperwork outstanding.

I agree with your comments about the Communications Act and I certainly don't want to get into a slanging match with them, as it is a distraction.

I will response to them accordingly.

Best regards,
                HS.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X