• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Recruitment agency offer of a job, then given to someone else

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruitment agency offer of a job, then given to someone else

Hi.

A relative recently had an interview for an administrative role set up by a recruitment agency. The recruitment agent then called to confirm the job offer, and also sent an email confirming this.

The job offer was accepted verbally. Follow up emails were also provided to arrange dates/times to sign the contract. The recruiter then went quiet for a few days.

My relative tried calling, and emailing with no luck. In the end she phoned the company she interviewed with who told her that another interview had taken place that day and the job was offered to that person. My relative burst into tears on the call as they were extremely upset, and the person who had interviewed her said there was some talk about my relative not being able to drive and possible questions then over reliability.

My relative called the recruitment company and ended up talking to a director who got the recruiter to eventually contact my relative (not by phone though, by email instead). The recruiter said the person who interviewed had opted for someone else.

Is this scenario unlawful in any way?

I ask as:
    1. My relative was offered the job verbally and over email and accepted.
    2. No reason as to why the job was then given to someone else has been given formally.
    3. There was mention (verbally) of the reason possibly being down to not driving (not a requirement of the role)
    4. It has caused emotional upset, and frankly my relative is very downbeat about looking for more jobs at this moment in time after this experience

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Recruitment agency offer of a job, then given to someone else

Sorry, but no. Job offers are frequently withdrawn for all sorts of reasons all the time. It's horrible but there is rarely anything that can be done. But in this case there is no contract in place, and even if there were, the best she'd be entitled to MIGHT be notice.

Comment

Does the recruitment agency not have to provide a reason, and noting the conversation re 'not driving' is there not some form of discrimination in play?

Thanks

Comment

For discrimination cases, there has to be a detriment which is due to a 'protected characteristic', such as disability, age, race etc.

The ability/inability to drive, or access to a vehicle, would not in itself be classed as such a characteristic.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I did read for disabled persons, not recruiting as the person isn't able to drive is discrimination, particularly if driving was not needed in the role (i.e admin role). The person in question isn't disabled - but it seems very inconsistent.

Anyway, it seems this particular recruitment agent lacks morals. A complaint about how this was handled will be made.

Comment

Originally posted by ths01 View Post
            I did read for disabled persons, not recruiting as the person isn't able to drive is discrimination, particularly if driving was not needed in the role (i.e admin role). The person in question isn't disabled - but it seems very inconsistent.

Anyway, it seems this particular recruitment agent lacks morals. A complaint about how this was handled will be made.
            Not "is". It's "might be". And "might not be" too. And the decision was one made by a client - not by the recruitment agency. So morality had nothing to do with it. It's business. That's all. And that's all they care about. They get paid a commission for the recruitment or they don't. Complaining won't get the agent into trouble for anything, but it may mean that your friend doesn't get any more referrals from that firm. And many of them are interlinked, so it could have a knock on effect elsewhere. Is she sure that this won't have a detrimental impact on her job searching? Does she not intend to use agencies again?

In the end, this just comes down to a disappointing decision made by a client of an agency. She got knocked back. I'm sorry it had been so disappointing for her. But what advantage does a complaint bring her?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X