• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Control Management UK Gladstones Court Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parking Control Management UK Gladstones Court Claim

Ah I see - I will work on this over the weekend so that I can submit by Sunday night.

If this ever happens again I will certainly be sure to deal with things at the POPLA stage!

Many thanks
    F

Comment

Hi M1,

I would be grateful for your opinion on the attached.

Many thanks
      F
      Attached Files

Comment

Argh. Have just gone to check the online system and it only allows 122 lines. Will need to cut down.

F

Comment

Ok no worries - all trimmed and submitted!

I guess they have 28 days to respond now...

BW
          F

Comment

Should've emailed it and kept it whole.

M1

Comment

To be honest I didn't know when precisely the deadline on 13th was so just wanted to avoid all doubt.

Also there was nowhere on the MCOL system that allowed me to say I was sending the defence separately so didn't think it could be done.

Anyway, what would happen if I were to apply for summary judgement now? Would they also have ano extra chance to add additional particulars or submit evidence or would judgement be made based on both of our statements as they stand?

Many thanks
              F

Comment

Anyway, what would happen if I were to apply for summary judgement now? Would they also have ano extra chance to add additional particulars or submit evidence or would judgement be made based on both of our statements as they stand?
                The same as before. You make an application and it would be heard. The other side always have an opportunity to amend things although the later they leave it, the less likely it is the court will accept it and it'll cost them an application fee to do so.

M1

Comment

Hi M1,

Have received an email from Gladstones informing me of PCM's intention to proceed with the claim and requesting a special direction for a papers only hearing on the basis that the case is relatively straightforward (standard response it seems). They also say that if I reject their request for a papers only hearing then they'd like the case transferred to their local court.

Should I now wait for the court to send to me a Directions Questionnaire to fill in?

I will obviously be objecting to a papers only hearing but in respect of choice of court, should my argument be that I'm a LIP and the Claimant is a company?

Also, should I be sending copies of everything I file with the court to Gladstones from now on?

Many thanks
                  F

Comment

Yes, yes and yes.

Obviously as they've had their DQ yours should follow soon. If not ask the court if it has been sent.

M1

Comment

Hi M1,

I've had my DQ now so will send this off.

Just had a few quick questions please:
                      1) Should I be preparing a skeleton argument at this stage?
                      2) Is there any sort of Defence in court against a claim that the contract might have been accepted on the basis of displaying a parking permit? (Obviously that particular claim has not been made because the particulars just vaguely state "breach of the terms and conditions").
                      3) Further to 2) above, if this line of claim was brought up in the evidence pack or in court would I have grounds to say that I've been unfairly disadvantaged by inadequate particulars?
                      4) Are there any extra costs that I could be hit with after the hearing?
                      5) If I wanted to hire someone as a McKenzie friend would I need to declare this to the court in advance?

Many thanks, as always, for your ongoing expertise
                      F

Comment

1. A skeleton argument should begin preparation from the minute the claim form arrives, usually in your mind until the later stages when you'd start constructing in writing. However it shouldn't be submitted until after you've seen their evidence unless they are hopelessly late.

2. Well it would depend on the facts to be honest. There has to be offer, consideration and acceptance both ways.

3. Yes but if in evidence we'd use skeleton argument and witness statement to counter.

4. Costs are limited in small claims. As long as you do as the court says, follow the rules and don't be an utter arse it'd be unusual to have more than claimed to pay. Perhaps in some cases some travel costs but it's usually local agents on a fixed fee. CPR 27.14 and Practice direction 27 details the costs rules.

5. No. If i was paying i'd want a lay rep rather than a McK friend i think. The cost may be prohibitive and most times you won't get it back unless the claimants behave unreasonably.

M1

Comment

Hi M1,

Just a quick update. We've both submitted DQs now and the court has transferred the case to my local court.

It says in the letter that the case will be referred to a procedural judge to assign the case to the appropriate track. Hopefully this is the point at which the case is dismissed!

BW
                          F

Comment

Unfortunately no. They are deciding the track and in your case it would be, most likely, the small claims track. This is where they are also working out the date.

Comment

Thanks Ostell.

Ah well... Wishful thinking!

BW
                              F

Comment

Hi M1 and Ostell,

So I've received a date for the hearing on the small claims track...

I've received an order that the parties have to send "[a] written statements of the evidence of (a) themselves and (b) of any other witness whose evidence is relied on in support of the claim or the defence and [b] copies of any documents which they propose to rely on at the hearing."

What actually is required here please? Is it just a witness statement or is a whole skeleton argument needed? If so then I would have absolutely no idea how to go about this...

Many thanks
                                F

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X