• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Control Management UK Gladstones Court Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parking Control Management UK Gladstones Court Claim

Many thanks indeed M1.

You are a true star.

Example 1 of https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...d_part06a#10.1 says that "Where the document is posted (by first class post) on a Monday (a business day), the day of deemed service is the following Wednesday (a business day)."

The statement is due by 4 May (Thursday). It's probably too large to email so am I right in thinking I need to post it by first class tomorrow?

Many thanks
    F

Comment

Hi M1 and Ostell,

Just putting together my skeleton argument.

I've noticed that PCM have included as part of their evidence a form authorising them to act that has been signed by a "managing agent" rather than the freeholder or leaseholder.

They say in their text "VCS v HM Revenue & Customs (2013) andParking Eye v Beavis (CA 2015) made it clear that a contracting party need not show they have aright to do what they have promised in the performance of a contract, nor is (in the case of aparking operator) the agreement between Operator and Landowner of any relevance."

Does this have any significance in your opinions?

Many thanks
      F

Comment

Links to Beavis & VCS v HMRC

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKSC/2015/67.html
        http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format...+AND+(CUSTOMS)

I can't see anywhere in either where it categorically states that they are not under any obligation to produce a contract (or contracts) which grant them authority.

In VCS, at 22, Lord Justice Lewison distinguishes between the making of a contract, & having the power to perform it.

According to the IPC Code of Practice (Oct 2016)
        PART B
        Operational Requirements Applicable to All Operators
        1. Establishing Yourself as the ‘Creditor’.
        1.1 If you operate parking management activities on land which is not owned by you, you must supply us with written authority from the land owner sufficient to establish you as the ‘Creditor’ within the meaning of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (where applicable) and in any event to establish you as a person who is able to recover parking charges. There is no prescribed form for such agreement and it need not necessarily be as part of a contract but it must include the express ability for an operator to recover parking charges on the landowner’s behalf or provide sufficient right to occupy the land in question so that charges can be recovered by the operator directly. This applies whether or not you intend to use the keeper liability provisions.
        https://theipc.info/uploads/vjnl0XFp...01.10.2016.pdf
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yep point out it is against the code of practice and not what was said by the courts. There were contracts in these cases.

M1

Comment

Thanks charity and M1.

Seems like so much information the judges have to read and get familiar with before each hearing... Will I need to give the other side my skeleton as well or is it just for the judge?

If I do need to quote case law anywhere can I bring up a case that I haven't mentioned in the defence or WS? E.g. I mentioned in my defence that it's a penalty but only referred to Beavis and haven't mentioned any other cases that seem like they might be useful e.g. Jopson v Homeguard.

F

Comment

If you give it to the judge the other side needs a copy.

You can try, and if it's in reference to a point made you'll probably be ok. If you are trying to make a completely new point then you could struggle (bearing in mind Gladrags don't follow the rules that might not be a bad thing to get a stickler for the rules as a judge !)

M1

Comment

Hi guys (and girls),

In your experience is it better to have a written skeleton or oral argument? I have a few nice points and I wouldn't want to give the game away too easily...

Also, in my skeleton should I be rebutting the few legal points that PCM has made in their witness statement?

BW
                F

Comment

Hi Fruitbat,

Being in a similar situation I just wanted to find out how you got on with your defence?

Comment

Hi RR - sorry for delay.

Actually after all of the effort I decided to settle. Essentially my view was that if I lost at court then I would technically have received a CCJ (regardless of whether I was able to pay it off within 28 days and regardless of whether it was actually registered), and then I'd technically have to answer yes if anyone asked me about it in the future.

So I lost a reasonable amount of money over what is still evidently a morally corrupt practice. But the skills and experience I gained from reading and practicing legal drafting was absolutely invaluable and I wouldn't trade it.

BW
                    F

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X