• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bw legal search

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bw legal search

Hi. In 2014 I had a lot of problems with Lowell chasing an old Lloyds/TSB credit card debt which was opened in 2004. I sent off the usual letters and eventually they produced a copy agreement and even some statements for my account, The thing is I hadn't made a payment to Lloyds/TSB since around 2007 and had no contact with them even though they were chasing it. Anyway, after Lowell produced the agreement and statements in 2014, they demanded the money which is roughly £1600 and gave me 30 days grace to find it (nice of them). Now in all this communication between myself and Lowell I have never once acknowledged that the debt was mine and low and behold I never heard anything from them again until a few months ago the phone calls started, which I have never answered but googled the number and found out it was them!! Two days ago I was checking my credit report and there is a search on from BW Legal on the 30th December 2016. I have read on here that these act on behalf of Lowell and are pretty ruthless. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do rather than just wait for them to bring action against me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Bw legal search

Hi again. Regarding the above post. Should I send a Statute Barred letter off to Lowell as I have never acknowledged the debt as being mine or made a payment since around 2007. Any help or advice please!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyBoo2 View Post
      Should I send a Statute Barred letter off to Lowell as I have never acknowledged the debt as being mine or made a payment since around 2007.
      I've not seen the paperwork so can't really comment but sending a SB letter may prompt them to issue a county court summons to beat the perceived deadline.

So many people come to us saying the debt is SB but then it turns out it isn't by a whisker (Default Notice remedy date etc).

Is this debt still with Lowells the creditor or has it been passed to Lowells Solicitors? Has there been any threat of legal proceedings?

When you say you sent of "the usual letters" in 2014 do you mean you sent a formal s.77-79 CCA Request with the £1 statutory fee?

Di

Comment

Hi. In 2014 I had a lot of problems with Lowell chasing an old Lloyds/TSB credit card debt which was opened in 2004. I sent off the usual letters and eventually they produced a copy agreement and even some statements for my account, The thing is I hadn't made a payment to Lloyds/TSB since around 2007 and had no contact with them even though they were chasing it. Anyway, after Lowell produced the agreement and statements in 2014, they demanded the money which is roughly £1600 and gave me 30 days grace to find it (nice of them). Now in all this communication between myself and Lowell I have never once acknowledged that the debt was mine and low and behold I never heard anything from them again until a few months ago the phone calls started, which I have never answered but googled the number and found out it was them!! Two days ago I was checking my credit report and there is a search on from BW Legal on the 30th December 2016. I have read on here that these act on behalf of Lowell and are pretty ruthless. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do rather than just wait for them to bring action against me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
        Good morning,

If you are absolutely certain that the alleged debt is statute barred i.e, an uninterrupted period of 6 years with no written acknowledgment or payment.
        I would expect BW to search just before issuing a claim.

Can we see what Lowell supplied with the CCA request please?

nem

Comment

a few months ago the phone calls started, which I have never answered but googled the number and found out it was them!! .
          Do you have any other debts apart from this Lloyds one?

Phone calls tend to come when a debt purchaser starts to chase a new account; after that it moves on to the letter writing stage.

As yet you've not identified what Lowell is pursuing. If you write to them saying that the Lloyds debt is SB you could be opening a can of worms which is best left closed.

B W Legal don't only collect on behalf of Lowell. They could have searched your file for a different reason for a different client.

Do your discreet research first

Di
          Last edited by Diana M; 10th January 2017, 11:46:AM. Reason: typo: discreet not discrete

Comment

Hi. Thank you for advice.
            You were correct in saying it could be a search regarding another debt. Today I received 3 letters in 1 envelope. 1 from Payday Express informing me that an account with a balance of £265.58 had been sold to PRAC Financial Ltd on the 9th of December 16 and giving formal notice of the assignment of the debt. 1 letter from PRAC informing me that they had acquired the debt from Payday Express saying they now own the debt and informing me that they have appointed BW Legal Services Ltd as their representatives. And finally 1 letter off BW Legal saying I should only contact them about this account. They have even offered a 10 percent discount if I set up a payment arrangement within the next 28 days after which the discount will be no longer available.

This was taken out by my ex partner in my name a few years ago and I'm now married to someone else. My ex partner was supposed to have dealt with it ages ago and as I've never heard anything from Payday Express I thought it was sorted. My stupid fault for trusting an idiot!!

Comment

Could you give a history of the Payday Express account?
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Nemesis45. Thank you.
                Lowell supplied two dark photocopies. 1 is my signed and dated acceptance form and agreement dated 02/09/03 for Lloyds TSB Classic credit card and the other is the cards conditions. Along with this is statements from 08/01/07 to 10/07/08. This last statement shows a balance of £2136.33 but it also says CHARGE OFF ACCOUNT £1760.66 CR and REFUND OF INTEREST £375.67 CR. New balance £0.00. According to the statements the last payment they received from me was on 24/12/07 yet I still carried on getting a monthly statement off them until 10/07/08 and each time being charged late payment charges. The amount Lowell are demanding is £1656.33.

Comment

Hi Nemesis45. Thank you.
                  Lowell supplied two dark photocopies. 1 is my signed and dated acceptance form and agreement dated 02/09/03 for Lloyds TSB Classic credit card and the other is the cards conditions. Along with this is statements from 08/01/07 to 10/07/08. This last statement shows a balance of £2136.33 but it also says CHARGE OFF ACCOUNT £1760.66 CR and REFUND OF INTEREST £375.67 CR. New balance £0.00. According to the statements the last payment they received from me was on 24/12/07 yet I still carried on getting a monthly statement off them until 10/07/08 and each time being charged late payment charges. The amount Lowell are demanding is £1656.33.
                  When did you last make any payment or written acknowledgment towards the alleged debt.

nem

Comment

Hi Charitynjw. Thanks.

Was taken out in 2013 as partner lost his job and we were struggling a bit. Can't even remember when it defaulted as we split up and he promised to sort it as was in my name. Have never had any communication from them by phone, email, letter etc since and to all intents and purposes I thought it was settled. Then seen BW Legal search on my credit report and this trio of letters arrived today. By the way there is no Payday Express default on my credit report.

Comment

Hi Nemesis45.
                      I can't in all honesty remember. It must have been a good few years ago. I definitely know my last payment to Lloyds TSB was December 2007. Is there some way of finding out if I've made any payments to anyone? I have had communication with Lowell obviously but I have never acknowledged that the debt was mine with them.

Comment

You were correct in saying it could be a search regarding another debt.
                        So it's a good thing you didn't send a SB letter to Lowells

Maybe you should put the Lloyd's debt to the back of your mind for now since no one appears to be chasing you for it.

Concentrate on any debt which is being actively pursued. Let sleeping dogs lie with anything else.

Di

Comment

This was taken out by my ex partner in my name a few years ago and I'm now married to someone else. My ex partner was supposed to have dealt with it ages ago and as I've never heard anything from Payday Express
                          When you say it was taken out by your ex in your name, do you mean you didn't know they'd opened the account so it was a fraudulent application?

Di

Comment

Hi Nemesis45.
                            I can't in all honesty remember. It must have been a good few years ago. I definitely know my last payment to Lloyds TSB was December 2007. Is there some way of finding out if I've made any payments to anyone? I have had communication with Lowell obviously but I have never acknowledged that the debt was mine with them.
                            Has any other debt agency contacted you or have you ever entered into a debt management plan?

nem

Comment

Hi Diana M. Thanks
                              Yes it is a good thing I didn't send one. Thank you for your sensible advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X