• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ at old address against statute barred debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ at old address against statute barred debt

Hi,

I am posting on behalf of a friend whom has recently started talking to his parents again after 6 years. He moved away and hasn't made contact until recently.

His mother has kept a gigantic amount of mail dating back years all unopened, so we got to work sifting through them. Have come across a letter from Lowells dated August stating that he has failed to make payments against the CCJ they issued against him, she has every letter that was sent to the house in his name, there are no court papers and no prior letters to this one from Lowel or letters since that onel. Its all very strange.

The debt they have got a CCJ against him for is a mobile phone contract on Orange/EE he had around 7 years ago so this debt would have been statute barred, he isnt even sure if there was money outstanding but is adament he closed the account after contacting them due to having no signal in his home, this was discussed with a customer services operator and they both decided it would be the only option. He doesnt remember anything else.

Where does he go from here because obviously he did not receive any court summons and if he had he would have defended against it with the supposed debt is barred. What is the next step for him in sorting this out?

Any help appreciated
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: CCJ at old address against statute barred debt

Hi taz

It does seem odd that there has been no info either prior to or during the alleged court claim/CCJ.
    You can find out more details on the CCJ (for a small fee) via http://www.trustonline.org.uk/search-yourself
    With that info, phone the court concerned to find out more info (ie the address on the claim form, etc).
    Mobile phone claims are tricky when it comes to statute-barred defences.
    The 'cause of action' date can be a lot later than the last payment date, so it is important to pinpoint when the trigger date for the 6-year timeframe started. & if the court claim was within that timeframe, it will not be SB.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I have just done that and checked, there is indeed a CCJ issued by the County Court Business Centre is November 2015 for £536. This makes it even odder as they have made no contact since then till August 2016.

There is no way he owed £536 as I have it in writing from Orange themselves from my own fight with them that after 3 months of non payment they close the account so if this was the case they are putting his monthly bills at over £150 a month which is ridiculous.

He has just spoken to his mother and she said that baliffs attended her property in September but his father informed them that he had neither seen nor heard from him in over 5 years, he did not even know if he was alive or dead. They haven't had any more come since then nor had anymore letters.

He says pretty much all he remembers is it was a blackberry he had which was out of contract as he was due an upgrade, he had recently moved back home with his parents after a breakup and the signal was poor back home, it had always been fine in his old property, he asked orange if there was anything they could do and they couldn't so the operator basically told him to go with another provider, which he did. He took the Blackberry with him but that would have been fine given that it was out of contract anyway. He then took out a Vodafone contract and had a new phone with them before the argument with his family, he left and informed Vodafone etc that he had moved but did not contact Orange as his contract had been cancelled after the phone call.

Comment

If it were me I'd phone CCBC Northampton to find out further details.
        Following a recent Daily Mail investigation, there is now a government investigation into firms which bring court claims using old addresses in order to get sneaky CCJs.
        https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...om-debt-claims
        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...addresses.html
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X