• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car impound and speeding ticket help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Car impound and speeding ticket help.

I'm ringing adrian flux in the morning first thing to speak to them. I get what your saying that by law you have to be insured, I know that, but if I don't know they have cancelled my policy how would I know I'm not insured until I get pulled over? Wether it be they have gone into liquidation or they have sent something to my old address. I would never know. I would never dream of stepping into a car without insurance, especially with a car like mine. The police officer wasn't even able to find out why it got cancelled and he said he's never come across that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Milesy123 View Post

Next question.

To top my day off I received a letter from Bradford majestrates saying I'm due in court on the 24th of March.

There is 2 speed camera tickets on there and 2 offences for failing to supply information about the car and driver but this is the first letter I have had corresponding to any tickets because they must have been sending them to my old address.

The reason I know this is because they have stuck a white sticker over my old address with my new address on.

I changed my licence with Dvla as soon as I moved so surely I shouldn't be prosecuted for failing to supply if it's there error.

Hope someone can help me out a little as to what to say or do next. Tia
      What a messy situation. Fortunately, legislation is in place to deal with this type of problem.

You need to speak with the court in the morning and explain that you had not known about this matter as you updated your address details around the same time as the offences and that as a consequence, all notices had been sent to your previous address. Explain that you have been asked to attend court on 24th March. The court SHOULD invite you to attend court at an earlier date for the purpose of making a Statutory Declaration.

Despite that fact that a hearing is set for 24th March you have only 21 days from BECOMING AWARE of the matter to submit a Statutory Declaration.

Once you have spoken with the court, please post back.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have added some additional information.

It would be wise for you to search your driving licence details online to see what information is held for you.

Comment

Now please don't shot the messenger but STRICT LIABILITY means there is no requirement for proof of mens rea in relation to the actus reus.
        Driving without insurance is a strict liability offence, which essentially means the driver may be liable when he/she is not at fault or has taken all reasonable care to comply with the law.
        If as a matter of fact, you did not have insurance in place at the time you were driving, then you are guilty.
        If there are special reasons, then the magistrates have discretion not to impose penalty points.

Do you know who your actual insurers were?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X