• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty product bought online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty product bought online

Hi all

I purchased a straightening brush which I did online from the Isle of Man. The company was based in America and the product came from there. On plugging in the brush it gave a bright blue flash and loud bang and essentially exploded smelling of burning and shorting all the fuses. I got a minor electric shock.

I emailed them immediately (it was Christmas Day so I didn't expect a response for a few days!) after no response (their website says they are available 24/7 and respond to all emails within 24hrs) I emailed again on 29th. Again nothing so I sent a message to their Facebook page. I received a response saying email them. I explained I already had and had no response to which they just ignored the message!

Essentially I am in a situation where I have a dangerous and faulty product and can not get a response from the company- not even a chance at open dialogue! I know it's been Christmas which is why I also sent a Facebook message to see if they were working and the fact I gained a response from that shows they have been open.

The product was only £50 and was purchased on a debit card. I intend to contact local trading standards but what else can I do? I have emailed them again today to state my intention of legal action if they do not respond and resolve by the end of next week.

Any advice would be good!

Ps happy Christmas and New Year!
    Tags: None

Re: Faulty product bought online

Call your bank and try and get a chargeback on the amount.

Comment

"I purchased a straightening brush which I did online from the Isle of Man"

Are you on the Isle of Man, or was the trader on the Isle of Man?

Who exactly did you email? The company in America or the trader on the Isle of Man (if that's where they were)?

Comment

Sorry I was a bit unclear, the product and seller are both in the USA. I'm in Isle of Man- I only said this as I know our laws are something slightly different

Comment

Follow Ostell's advice and go via chargeback through bank.
          There is no point trying to sue an American company for £50!

Have a good New Year

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X