• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Handing Notice In - Before or After Disciplinary? Worried about reference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handing Notice In - Before or After Disciplinary? Worried about reference

...delete post...
    Last edited by SillySausage16; 5th January 2017, 07:55:AM. Reason: Don't want to post to be traced
    Tags: None

Re: Handing Notice In - Before or After Disciplinary? Worried about reference

Originally posted by SillySausage16 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm desperate for some much needed advice, a couple of weeks ago I did a very silly thing and am now facing a disciplinary meeting next week for gross misconduct, anyway I'm 95% sure I will face dismissal. Based on this I have been applying for other jobs (to be honest a well needed kick up the arse!) I have now been offered a brilliant job but I am unsure how to go about this.
    It's Bank Holiday on Monday, back to work Tues and disciplinary on Weds, the start date of this job depends on references, they have also sent me a form with various questions one including have I ever received any disciplinary action. Do I hand my notice in on Tues, therefore never receiving any disciplinary action or wait til Weds and hand my notice in the disciplinary but then having to explain myself to the new company (the reason will not go down well for me) or just hope they won't have any mention of disciplinary in my reference, any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated. (I only have a few days now to decide)
    It is too late to resign - you cannot resign with immediate effect (well, you can try, but the employer can ignore it!), so the employer will still dismiss if they intend to do so. I am very much afraid that what will be will now be. Your employer may not mention it in a reference - but equally, they may be asked. And since you have now been asked, that is a distinct possibility. And equally, even if you resign before the hearing, the employer can disclose your reasons for resigning - "resigned pending disciplinary for gross misconduct" won't go down any better. I can't see any purpose in asking you (after all, as you are tempted to do, the obvious thing to do is lie) unless they intend to verify your answer. And one thing is certain. No employer will employ someone who just lied to them.

Unpalatable as it may be, I cannot advise you to do anything other than tell the truth to the new employer, trying to make the best of that explanation. Because, and you need to remember this - it doesn't even need your reference to disclose this disciplinary action. Careless gossip - someone in the new company knows someone in the old one, or another colleague switches companies - and you can still be dismissed for lying in your application. And technically, that could even be ten years after. So even getting to two years, when you can claim unfair dismissal, wouldn't protect you.

You may be better off telling us what you have done and seeking help with how to explain it.

Comment

...delete post...
      Last edited by SillySausage16; 5th January 2017, 07:56:AM. Reason: Don't want to post to be traced

Comment

Originally posted by SillySausage16 View Post
        Hi, thanks for your advice, I understand everything your saying, I guess I was just hoping for an easy way out, but the isn't one.
        Right this is what happened (I am very ashamed and embarrassed of my actions) I've been with my company about 10 years and am responsible for customer accounts, incoming payments and updating the cash book so I have access to all the company's bank details. One day the wages were paid incorrectly so everybody's wages came up on the bank, I immediately spotted this and passed it over to my manager as I didn't want to see, for some reason as the day went on curiosity got the better of me so I logged on to have a nose, if I'd done this as normal on my computer no one would of blinked but stupid old me logged in on my phone. I had absolutely no intend of fraud etc I was simply being nosey! My employer found out immediatly and asked me if id logged on so i was honest and said i did as i know if id of lied and been discovered it would be 100 times worse. How could I explain this to a future employer? The job I've been offered has nothing to do with accounts. Thanks
        Oh dear. Yes, that was silly.

Well my first line would be to speak to the current employer immediately on Tuesday, and explain that you have another job, that you realise that you have been extremely stupid, and if you resign with immediate effect, will they "let you off". And if you haven't already told them that you were just being nosy, then say so. Possibly, with your record, they may be willing to accept this to make it all go away.

If not, then I think you have to tell the new employer, and personally, I'd recommend speaking to them and explaining rather than just ticking the box. At least if you speak to them you have a chance of explaining; and they might be more able to see that you are genuinely stupid as opposed to anything worse! Obviously, this may scupper the job offer - but on the other hand, if you lie to them and they find out, then that will definitely be far worse.

Comment

Hello,
          Thank you for your advice on this, my work have been really good and this has all been sorted out now, honesty is the best policy, if you could delete my quotes I would be grateful, thanks again

Comment

I'm glad it worked out for you.

I'm sorry but I don't delete posts. Many people browse these sites for advice on situations they are in without ever posting themselves.

You can contact the moderators and ask them if they will delete your thread. Some sites will. Others will not. But it is their decision.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X