• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking on Norwegian Air

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking on Norwegian Air

Hello friends.

Help me out here.

I had a luggage claim against this Scandinavian company a couple of years ago. This one -

https://www.norwegian.com/en/

Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA, trading as Norwegian, is the third largest low-cost carrier in Europe, the second-largest airline in Scandinavia, and the ninth-largest airline in Europe in terms of passenger numbers. Wikipedia

Bag information: In economy, prices vary by itinerary. More Norwegian Air Shuttle bag information

Customer service: 1 (800) 357-4159

Technical support: 011 47 815 11 540

Stock price: NWARF (OTCMKTS) $32.31 -0.59 (-1.79%)
    Dec 20, 4:00 PM EST - Disclaimer

Headquarters: Bærum, Norway

CEO: Bjørn Kjos (Oct 2002–)

Hub: Oslo Airport, Gardermoen

When they refused to pay for a damaged suitcase and about £400 of missing clothing, I took them to Court in the UK - their UK subsidiary was this one -

Name & Registered Office:
    NORWEGIAN AIR UK LIMITED
    FIRST POINT
    BUCKINGHAM GATE
    GATWICK AIRPORT
    ENGLAND
    RH6 0NT
    Company No. 09360346

Date of Incorporation: 18/12/2014

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
    Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC):
    51101 - Scheduled passenger air transport
    Accounting Reference Date: 31/12
    Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2015 (FULL)
    Next Accounts Due: 30/09/2017
    Last Return Made Up To: 18/12/2015
    Next Confirmation Statement Due: 01/01/2017
    Mortgage: Number of charges: 3 ( 3 outstanding / 0 satisfied / 0 part satisfied )
    Last Members List
    : 18/12/2015
    Previous Names:
    12/03/2015 WESTFORCE AVIATION LIMITED
    In Court, at an application hearing requesting strike out, they stated I needed to sue the parent company in Norway and that they were the wrong entity to hold responsible as my booking was with Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA in Norway.

The Judge allowed it to continue but I dropped it in return for a better communication with their Norway head office about compensation, as taking on a Norwegian company would be too problematic, even using the European Union small claims cross border procedure. This 'communication' though turned out to be worthless. These people are complete and utter scumbags.

The one thing I ended up with was some cashpoints to use to purchase a flight, worth £50. I sued them towards a flight Gatwick to Bangkok.

Then, on this damn flight, they managed to delay my bag for almost a week, and I had to spend £200 on clothes and toiletries.

They are refusing to pay ANYTHING.

So Legal Beagles, I really want to take this company to Court in the UK, using their UK operation. Can I do this? I booked the flight in the UK.

BTW, since the case two years ago ,there are two more Norwegian owned subsidiaries on Companies House - here they are:

NORWEGIAN AIR RESOURCES SHARED SERVICE CENTER AS, BRANCH UK
    BRANCH REGISTRATION
    REFER TO PARENT REGISTRY
    Company No. FC033363

Date of registration: 01/05/2016

Country of Origin: NORWAY
    Company Type: Other company type
    None Supplied
    Accounting Reference Date:
    Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
    Next Accounts Due:
    Last Return Made Up To:
    Next Confirmation Statement Due:
    Mortgage: Number of charges: ( 0 outstanding / 0 satisfied / 0 part satisfied )
    Previous Names:
    No previous name information has been recorded over the last 20 years.
    UK Establishment Details
    BR018449
    NORWEGIAN AIR RESOURCES SHARED SERVICE CENTER AS, BRANCH UK
    1 ST KATHARINE'S WAY
    LONDON
    E1W 1AY
    01/05/2016
    AIRLINE OPERATIONS PROVIDER OF ADMINISTRATIVE SHARED SERVICES
    Oversea Company Info
    Registered at: CARDIFF on 01/05/2016
    Country of Origin: NORWAY
    Parent Registry: REGISTER OF BUSINESS ENTERPRISES
    Registration Number: 899178432
    Governing Law: NORWAY
    Legal Form: LIMITED LIABILITY
    Number of UK Establishments: 1 Open
    Documents held at Company / UK Establishment office: BR018449
    Required to publish accounts from: 01/01 to 31/12 within 6
    Accounts delivered to: 20141231
    Objects of the Company: PROVISION OF CREW SERVICES AND OTHER SERVICES THAT ARE NATURALLY CONNECTED HERE

NORWEGIAN AIR RESOURCES UK LIMITED
    150 ALDERSGATE STREET
    LONDON
    UNITED KINGDOM
    EC1A 4AB
    Company No. 09462762

Date of Incorporation: 27/02/2015

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
    Company Type: Private Limited Company
    78109 - Other activities of employment placement agencies
    Accounting Reference Date: 31/12
    Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
    Next Accounts Due: 27/01/2017
    Last Return Made Up To: 27/02/2016
    Next Confirmation Statement Due: 13/03/2017
    Mortgage: Number of charges: ( 0 outstanding / 0 satisfied / 0 part satisfied )
    Last Members List
    : 27/02/2016
    Previous Names:
    No previous name information has been recorded over the last 20 years.
    UK Establishment Details
    There are no UK Establishments associated with this company.
    Oversea Company Info
    There are no Oversea Details associated with this company.
    Tags: None

Re: Taking on Norwegian Air

Anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew32 View Post
      Anybody?
      Hi drew, the short answer is no. If you contract with one party you cannot then choose or decide to sue a subsidiary of that company because you don't wish to sue the correct company. The law (in England and Wales and no doubt in norway too) recognises that you can't sue a person if they were not party to an agreement. It is only the names of those parties who can sue and be sued unless otherwise agreed.

When you issued proceedings against the subsidiary, Norwegian Air were right to strike it out on the grounds that the wrong party is named. But the judge was correct in that you didn't have to sue only in Norway, this is because from vague memory, there are certain european regimes that control jurisdiction and other things. The Lugano Convention 2007 would be appear to be the correct application and that states that a consumer may sue in either their own country or the other party's where they are domiciled.

As to what law applies, English or presumably Norwegian will depend on the terms of the contract that you agreed to at the time.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I would however add to that, european case law has also suggested that a term which purports to establish the governing law in the suppliers domiciled country, may be unfair on consumers though it is up to the court to determine whether or not there is an imbalance or lack of good faith.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The agreement I signed last time states I won't take out any future legal claims against the for new matters that come up - that can't be legally binding can it?

Comment

Of course it can be legally binding, it is not uncommon for companies (their lawyers to be precise) to draft up some wording that would say something like the parties agree X Y Z in full and final settlement in connection with or arising out of the claim or something like the parties undertake not to bring any further claims in connection with the present claim.

If you have signed an agreement like that then yes you cannot bring any further claims relating to the same matter. If you do then I would expect them to pursue you for any costs incurred in doing so as that's what I would do.

for new matters
            If the wording explicitly says however all future claims or seems to imply that, then I would say that the wording is unenforceable as it would breach your right to bring a claim in the future which does not have any connection with the claim you are bringing. So if this claim relates to lost baggage but you use Norwegian Air in 12 months time and turns out that you are entitled to compensation for flight delay, then they can't prevent you from bringing a claim for the compensation.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

It basically says any new claims in the future not related to this claim at all.

Comment

Without knowing the full wording and if it says just that, then I don't think it is reliable as it needs to be clear and specific and cannot just be a blanket ban. For example you cannot contract out of certain things by law
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Okay here is the wording -

"We would be prepared to offer you the sum of CENSORED (inclusive of all legal costs and expenses) in full and final settlement of any and all claims which you have or may have against Norwegian Air and any of its group companies whether existing now or in the future.

This settlement is conditional on you keeping the terms of the settlement (including the existence of the settlement agreement) strictly confidential and you discontinuing the claim and you agreeing not file any further legal claims against Norwegian and any of its group companies."

This does, in hindsight, seem somewhat unlawful to me - you cannot sign away your rights under the law surely? If I signed something stating a person could do me hard then would they be legally able to get away with hurting me?

This was, to repeat, for an old claim. I have since flown with Norwegian again, and am now wishing to take one of their group companies to Court - i.e. a subsidiary.

What do you think guys?

Comment

On the face of it, it woud appear to be unlawful to an extent. Because they are trying to make you release all claims but as I've said previously, you cannot contract out for personal injury or fraud whereas the wording of this would appear to cover that too.

It has been held lawful to waive all claims in connection with the claim whether known or unknown at the time or in the future, but I am not aware of any court upholding a clause which means that the person can never bring a claim against the company in the future where the claim is entirely unconnected to the one that has been settled.

For something like that to be enforceable, it would have to be unequivocally clear and set out the type of claims that cannot be brought, but I am still of the opinion that they cannot prevent you from bringing an unconnected claim not relatedo to the facts of your previous claim.

Also, reading the terms it says that the terms of the settlement are confidential and by disclosing them on the forum you are in breach of the confidentiality so I would suggest your remove the above post.
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Quick question - issue is with company A - based in Isle of Man - they are owned by company B, based in the UK - can I sue company A?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X