• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Buying a new car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new car

I am in the process of buying a new car for cash from a main dealer. They insist that I go up there, (100 miles round trip), at least four days before I take deliver to sign some papers, (gap insurance?). They say that this is a recent requirement by the FCA,

I have contacted the FCA who know nothing about this, and I very much suspect that no such regulation exists. Does anyone know if ir does or not?
    Tags: None

Re: Buying a new car

Originally posted by D P Dance View Post
    I am in the process of buying a new car for cash from a main dealer. They insist that I go up there, (100 miles round trip), at least four days before I take deliver to sign some papers, (gap insurance?). They say that this is a recent requirement by the FCA,

I have contacted the FCA who know nothing about this, and I very much suspect that no such regulation exists. Does anyone know if ir does or not?
    I believe GAP insurance is to cover any short fall in a finance contract not for an outright cash purchase [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION] and or [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] may be able to help.

nem

Comment

You are not legally obligated to to take out any GAP insurance, so the dealer is lying and probably gets a commission from added it as a value added service. You could ask the dealer to point out specifically under what part of the FCA regulations that states consumers must take out GAP insurance, and i'll bet that they are not able to.

As Nem has said, it is a form of insurance that you can take out with new cars where it covers any total loss of the car or any meets any outstanding payments.

There are advantages and disadvantages to GAP insurance so you might want to consider it carefully. For example it may be beneficial if you are taking the finance over a long period of time such as 5 years, as it is hard to predict what might happen during that time, or if you are going to be entering into an agreement with a high interest rate which could potentially cause payment problems in the future, or if you have a large balloon payment at the end of the agreement (useful for conditional sale agreements but not hire purchase).

If you want GAP insurance, you may want to source it yourself as obtaining one from dealers may turn out more expensive.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Well said [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION], dodgy dealer !!

nem

Comment

As already mentioned< GAP insurance is not mandatory, and anyway why would FCA be involved in a transaction which does not involve finance through a third party?

"GAP" is designed to cover the difference between (if your vehicle is written off or stolen) what your regular insurers pays out and(in this case as you are a cash buyer) what you paid for the car.

As this is a new car, and you are paying cash, it is possibly not cover you require.
          This is because, typically, comprehensive car policies offer brand new car replacement during the first twelve months of ownership.
          However, do check your policy wording!!

Comment

I think I have called the dealers bluff on this, I am collecting the car tomorrow. I got an amazing deal, so good that a half an hour after I paid the deposit, they tried to cancel. First they said they were not allowed to sell it as it was under 6 months old.

Then they said they had made "an honest mistake" with the mileage, (750 instead of 11). I said that if a surgeon made an honest mistake and amputated the wrong leg he could be sued for millions.

When I threatened them with court for breach of contract , Loss of Bargain, Trade Descriptions Act, Autotrader T&C, SMMT Code of Practice, New Car Code, et al they changed their tune. It has taken me the whole day to sort out,

Thanks all for you input on Gap insurance, I shall not be buying it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X