• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer disclosed medical details

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer disclosed medical details

About a year ago I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and took 5 days off to have an operation. I told the CEO and we exchanged texts while I was off. While I was recovering I sent a text saying I was returning in a couple of days and asked he did not disclose details to my team I wanted to tell them the details in my own time. He informed me another manager of his had already discussed it with my team. Phycologically this was a real big deal, it changed everything, I was angry, I felt I couldn't stay, I didn't know who else knew. within a few months I handed in my notice having served 10 years as a senior manager I gave an excuse about time to move on. I lost a huge amount of potential earnings/benefits through this and only now think about how their actions led me to this. Would I be able to make a case for compensation now ?
    Tags: None

Re: Employer disclosed medical details

I doubt it. You didn't do anything about it at the time, and you appear to have moved on voluntarily and that is what you said. To now state that this was not the truth a year later is open to a great deal of questioning.

But even if you could get past that, the process is complicated and you would first have to get the ICO to agree it is a breach of the DPA. But the ICO cannot award compensation, so you would then have to go to court and prove your case for damages - and that case would be potentially damaged by the fact that you have clearly stated that it was time to move on, not that you felt forced to move on and why.

More information here https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/compensation/

Comment

Yeah I kind of thought that would be the case. Do you think it is a breach of the DPA ?

Other than DPA is there any other legal protection for employees from having medical details disclosed by their employers ?

Or, if it's not a breach of the DPA, which is likely as it wasn't part of any data or record do you think the company is acting within their rights to discuss medical details of employees with other employees.

For constructive dismissal is it even necessary to prove they broke the law ?

Comment

Constructive unfair dismissal needs to be initiated via an Employment Tribunal within 3 months less 1 day of the incident.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
          Constructive unfair dismissal needs to be initiated via an Employment Tribunal within 3 months less 1 day of the incident.
          This is right. Plus it is almost impossible to win, and in these circumstances, with no grievances raised about it - it would be impossible to win.

I think that the problem is that this is not about the employer "acting within their rights" or not. Rights aren't what this is really about. You objected to the information being disclosed - you should have said so. It was a judgement call for the employer. In my opinion, without discussing it with you first, a bad judgement call. But a judgement call nonetheless. In the same situation someone else could have come back and/ very distressed by lots of questions from the team as to what was wrong with them. I very much doubt that there was any ill intent here, and it is a shame that you didn't speak to the employer at the time about this. It has clearly distressed you, but I do think this could have been resolved by a conversation. The employer couldn't turn back time on it, but they could have apologised, and they could have discussed it with you and perhaps offered something in the way of a more concrete apology. But it really is too late now.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X