• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

False accusation at work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False accusation at work

Hi everyone,

Really worried and stressed currently so bare with me please.

I work in a primary school and was called in to my headteacher today. She sat me down and said "an allegation has been made, would you like to tell me what happened yesterday afternoon". This went on for about 5 minutes with me pressing for what the allegation was. "I've been told that I should be careful what I say as there was an allegation against you beforehand that was false".

The background of the previous accusation was that the headteacher said she smelt marijuana on me. She told a deputy head and didn't actually come to me. I confronted her and vigorously denied, offering to take tests etc because I'd never even smoked it in my life. I stopped wearing aftershave at work due to this!

So back to this. Eventually after she'd fished for info from me and hoped I'd crumble and admit something, she told me I'd been seen coming out of a cupboard with a female colleague in a classroom. Now I had been in the same class as my colleague and she had helped me find a book i was looking for. I've previously been in art cupboards with other members of staff, science cupboards etc it's pretty normal. She asked me if myself and the colleague have a relationship going on (I'm married, the lady is in a long term relationship), I informed her that no we weren't. She said she doesn't care what we do outside etc etc. She then said she'd investigate and speak to HR. She appeared apprehensive because she'd made a false allegation before.

My female colleague was taken for a chat with the deputy head who also refused to say what the allegation was for 5 mins, trying to fish. She was asked to write down what happened and sign it, I was not asked to do this. I told my colleague to inform unison, which she has done. I'm with GMB but couldn't get through to anyone. I took it upon myself to sign a statement and give to the headteacher, reiterating what I'd said and saying I was worried with it being a second allegation and that I'd fight it vigoruously. I informed her id be sending this to GMB Monday.

I would just like to know what's likely to happen. This has ruined my weekend and left me scared of a stitch up. What are the likely next steps they'll take and what can I do to fight it.

Appreciate so much any help.
    Tags: None

Re: False accusation at work

Hi Archymoomoo

For how long have you been employed by your employer?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I was agency from October 2013 to October 2014. Been permanent since October 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMooMoo View Post
        I was agency from October 2013 to October 2014. Been permanent since October 2014.
        Good.
        That means you have full rights via the Employment Rights Act 1996 (inc unfair dismissal rights).
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

To be fair, I can't see anything wrong here. I accept that it may be uncomfortable, but schools have a very high standard of duty of care to their pupils. Unfortunately that means that any matter must be thoroughly and impartially investigated. If the head teacher, on the previous occasion, believed that she could smell marijuana on you, then she is potentially a witness and it would have been quite wrong of her to tackle you or to investigate it herself. She could not be a witness and remain impartial. Similarly, if someone has said something about you and this teacher being in a stock cupboard together (and frankly, someone must have said something, but it sounds exactly like what a child might be gossiping about, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happened), then the head teacher is being irresponsible and unfair to you both not to investigate it and clear you of any wrongdoing. She can't do that without speaking to you, and to the other person involved. Certainly, your argument that married people / people in long term relationships wouldn't be in a stock cupboard for any reason other than looking for a book doesn't hold any water - people have affairs all the time! It is far worse for both of you if she does nothing, and whoever has reported this continues to gossip it all over the place - particularly if, as I suspected, it is a pupil.

From what I can see, she is handling this perfectly properly, and you should have nothing to worry about. I am afraid that the price of working in a school is that absolutely every little thing must be investigated formally and put to rest for the record. Whilst children quite rightly must be protected, the fact is that the world these days is paranoid about what happens around children, and litigation crazy. The school must protect itself against any suggestion that there is inappropriate behaviour around children or on the premises - and, in fact, in some cases, off the premises. There are now quite a few instances of teachers being dismissed for doing things outside school time which are perfectly legal but which are deemed to set a bad example to children.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. She confirmed that it was a member of staff as it was in nursery.

Her comment of consulting HR worried me as sounded severe! I understand her not confronting me for the marijuana but She claimed it was safeguarding yet they let me work the entire day... the children would've all smelt it if it was genuine so thought it should've been sorted ASAP in morning.

Comment

I agree with [MENTION=94916]Sangie595[/MENTION].
              Once brought to the headteacher's attention, the complaint or allegation has to be investigated.
              But I also think there is nothing to worry about.
              & it puts you on guard re a potential 'quisling'.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchMooMoo View Post
                Thanks for the reply. She confirmed that it was a member of staff as it was in nursery.

Her comment of consulting HR worried me as sounded severe! I understand her not confronting me for the marijuana but She claimed it was safeguarding yet they let me work the entire day... the children would've all smelt it if it was genuine so thought it should've been sorted ASAP in morning.
                There is no reason to worry about consulting HR. I would expect any manager in such a situation to get proper advice. You go to your union for that. She goes to HR.

As Charitynjw has suggested, what concerns me more is that a member of staff leapt to this conclusion. I'd understand a child - tales about "Mr" and "Miss" are juicy gossip to kids. But if I see two colleagues coming out of a stock cupboard, my mind doesn't instantly go to the conclusion that it's a matter that needs reporting. I would want to know why theirs did!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X