• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County Court papers MBNA /ME III ltd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Court papers MBNA /ME III ltd

I received a court claim form for a debt which I have had from a credit card.

The credit card was taken out in 2005 and I made no defaults until the crash in 2008 when my self employed business literally crashed overnight. Early in the new year of 2009 I wrote to all the credit cards I had and told them I was unable to pay them. One wrote of the debt, one wrote to me very nicely and we arranged a payment schedule and one didnt contact me for a while and then sent in some debt collectors, which I admit I stuck my head in the sand about.

This is that debt. I have not made any payments since the crash, and no written acknowledgement of the debt. The debt has gone through a few people. this new lot have only had it a very short time. The amount outstanding is £5946.09 without court costs

Ive followed the 3 steps as advised, and will be sending off the letters today
    Tags: None

Re: County Court papers MBNA /ME III ltd

I believe it should be statute barred now? having gone over 6 years

Comment

Hi & welcome to LB

Ive followed the 3 steps as advised, and will be sending off the letters today
      Which steps are these?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaS View Post
        I received a court claim form for a debt which I have had from a credit card.

The credit card was taken out in 2005
        Hello Emma

Looking at your thread title would the Claimant be called Cabot using either Mortimer Clarke or Restons solicitors?

I'm assuming one of those three letters is a s 77-79 CCA Request which is essential.

You also need to send a Subject Access Request to MBNA so that you get the full history of the account confirming last payment made etc. This can be helpful evidence for you.

What is the claim issue date (top right hand corner of the claim's first page)?

You have 19 days from that date to file your Acknowledgment of Service and 33 days from that date to file your Defence so there's time to get everything under control.

Di

Comment

@Diana M

Good afternoon, Di.

Possibly the GOODF 3-step procedure?
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thank you for replying and the advice

ahh, so, sorry. the 3 steps were a post on here somewhere, which says to go online to get the 28 days, then the 2 lots of letters. One to the claimants (a company called ME III, but with the Mortimer Clarke solicitors) and one to the solicitor.

I will try to find the address of MBNA, but the claim doesnt even have the account number of the credit card, and I dont have it either. sadly Ive been pretty rubbish with this one and have just thrown everything away. As I said, absolute head in the sand syndrome.

I think Cabot handled it at one point, and also someone called Moorcroft? Its been passed on a good few many times, theyve threatened alot of stuff in the past, but this is the first time Ive had a court order. I had a search on my credit history but nothing was showing for it on there.

Comment

Claim issue date is 12 December 2016

Yes, Ive asked for the credit card agreement, from both ME III and Mortimer Clarke

Comment

ME III are part of the Cabot Group.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Address for SAR (+ ICO details)
                  https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/Z7668952

Registration Number: Z7668952
                  Date Registered: 24 February 2003 Registration Expires: 23 February 2017
                  Data Controller: MBNA Limited
                  Address:
                  Stansfield House
                  Chester Business Park
                  Chester
                  Cheshire
                  CH4 9QQ
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                    Address for SAR (+ ICO details)
                    https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/Z7668952

Registration Number: Z7668952
                    Date Registered: 24 February 2003 Registration Expires: 23 February 2017
                    Data Controller: MBNA Limited
                    Address:
                    Stansfield House
                    Chester Business Park
                    Chester
                    Cheshire
                    CH4 9QQ
                    Thankyouverymuch

Comment

the claim doesnt even have the account number of the credit card, and I dont have it either. sadly Ive been pretty rubbish with this one and have just thrown everything away.
                      This is the bit where I say that the Claimant has to prove their case. If they've not pleaded the account number then they'll have a problem not you.

Maybe they (MBNA) have thrown everything away too

Di

Comment

Claim issue date is 12 December 2016

Yes, Ive asked for the credit card agreement, from both ME III and Mortimer Clarke
                        Can you post (type up) the wording of the Particulars of Claim because that's the starting point.

Did you have PPI on this MBNA credit card account?

It's good to hear you've sent a CCA Request. Did you include a £1 postal order with the request and send it by Royal Mail Signed For or at least got a Proof of Posting certiicate from the post office ?

Di

Comment

One to the claimants (a company called ME III, but with the Mortimer Clarke solicitors)
                          There can only be one entity which has the legal right (or not) to claim so can you clarify (it's important for reasons I can't say right now) what EXACT name is on he N1 claim form as the Claimant.

Di

Comment

Claimant - ME III Limited, 16-22 Grafteon Road, Worthing, West Sussex
                            address for sending documents and payments - Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Ltd, same address

particulars of Claim - By an agreement between the MBNA and the Defendant on or around 22/09/2005 ('the Agreement') MBNA agreed to issue the Defendant with a credit card. The Defendant failed to make the minimum payments due and the Agreement was terminated. The Agreement was assigned to the Claimant. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 5946.09

- - - Updated - - -

I dont believe I had PPI on this card as Ive always been self employed and so have never knowingly taken it out

Comment

The Defendant failed to make the minimum payments due and the Agreement was terminated. The Agreement was assigned to the Claimant.
                              l notice no mention of a Default Notice having been served before the account was terminated and assigned

I would still ask for it among the other documents you seek disclosure of in your CPR 31.14 Request letter.

This is why I always say send a SAR to the original creditor so you (and the court) can distinguish fact from fiction when the Claimant produces reconstituted documents.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X