• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received a court claim for non Cancellation of services.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Received a court claim for non Cancellation of services.

Originally posted by Arcadian View Post
    JG Environmental are a limited company, and they appear to be the parent of JG Pest Control.
    So the claim has to be in the name of JG Environmental, but the OP has only mentioned JG Pest Control and that is why I would like tosee PoC

Comment

Hi Charity and Des,

Thank you both for helping me with this.

The court claim issue date is December 13th, so if my calculations are right then I will need to send back the defence by January 15th?

I have taken a picture of the particulars of the claim, I am just trying to figure out how to upload it on here? I'll have a look about and see if I can do it.

Comment

The only way I could do it was by creating a link through a website, I hope thats ok?

https://postimg.org/image/a247jhu6b/

Comment

Originally posted by OliviaBowie View Post
          The only way I could do it was by creating a link through a website, I hope thats ok?

https://postimg.org/image/a247jhu6b/
          That's fine, but can you confirm the exact name of the claimant as it appears on the form?

I'll be back later today

Comment

? claimants name

IMO your defence should be along these lines, but others might have other suggestions:

1. The Defendant denies that he is liable to the Claimant either as alleged in the Particulars of Claim or at all. Save where otherwise admitted, each and every allegation in the Particulars of Claim is denied.
            2. The Defendant denies any Flea Chemical Treatment was ever undertaken by the Claimant at the premises as claimed.

3. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the amounts claimed or any interest on such amounts.

Statement of Truth:

I believe that the facts stated in this defence are true.

Dated this xx day of mm yyyysigned:Olivia Bowie

OLIVIA BOWIE

Comment

Hi Des,

Sorry I didn't mean to disappear, I've had no internet for a couple of days.

The claimants name is exactly like this:

JG ENVIRONMENTAL LTD
              UNIT 29
              THORNEY LANE NORTH
              IVER
              BUCKINHAMSHIRE
              SL0 9HF

That template is fantastically helpful, to be honest I didn't really know where to start with wording a defence (Although I see there are templates available here which is great)

I will write up a draft defence and post it here before submitting it, hopefully tonight, if not tomorrow.

Thank you again :-)

Comment

Ok they got their name nearly right!
                On the basis of the people your order was with,I would have expected the claimant to have been:
                JG Environmental Ltd t/a JG Pest Control.
                But there is no point in challenging that at the moment.

Comment

I really am leaving this last minute :-/

Des I have used your template as I really didn't know what else to do (I haven't actually filed the defence yet, but this is what I have got

1. I, the Defendant deny that I am liable to the Claimant as alleged in the Particulars of Claim, each and every allegation in the Particulars of Claim is denied.

2. I, The Defendant denies any Flea Chemical Treatment was ever undertaken by the Claimant at the premises as claimed.

3. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the amounts claimed or any interest on such amounts.

Statement of Truth:

Dated this xx day of mm yyyy signed:My name

My Name

It's short and sweet, I think it covers everything?

Comment

Havent had much time to think about the issues in this case, but surely one would look at the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
                    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION].
                      I initially considered unfair terms as per CRA 2015, but the actual claim here is for payment of a service that was not given.

If they change their claim to damages for cancellation of the contract, the op could then rely on the 2013 regulations

Are we (am I) going the wrong way?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                        Thanks for the pointer @pt2537.
                        I initially considered unfair terms as per CRA 2015, but the actual claim here is for payment of a service that was not given.

If they change their claim to damages for cancellation of the contract, the op could then rely on the 2013 regulations

Are we (am I) going the wrong way?
                        Well the thing is, and i cannot express any view having not considered the facts of this case fully yet, but if the distance selling regs apply, then it may well kill the claim dead if the supplier hasnt complied with the regs.

If thats the case, it may prove an easier route to killing this claim
                        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

https://www.taylorwessing.com/filead...tions-2013.pdf

The above link may well explain the difficulties the trader faces, as it seems to me they may well have missed the cancellation form / rights information that they should have given to the consumer

Comment

After advice from PT (thanks!) I would suggest amending defence as below.
                            If others disagree or would amend differently, please jump in, but remember defence has to be filed tomorrow (I think)

After 1) replace with:

2) The Defendant admits to requesting in a telephone call on dd/mm/yy that JG Pest Control (which I now understand is a trading name of the Claimant) to deal with a flea infestation problem.

3)The Claimant failed to comply with The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 in that he did not supply confirmation of the contract on paper or in durable form.

4)The Claimant failed to supply the information referred to in Schedule 2 and Schedule 3 of the Act,and in particular information about the right to cancel.

4) The Defendant cancelled the contract on dd/mm/yy

5) The Defendant denies any Flea Chemical Treatment was ever undertaken by the Claimant at the premises as claimed.

6) It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the amounts claimed or any interest on such amounts.

Statement of Truth:

Dated this xx day of mm yyyysigned:Olivia Bowie

OLIVIA BOWIE

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                              https://www.taylorwessing.com/filead...tions-2013.pdf

The above link may well explain the difficulties the trader faces, as it seems to me they may well have missed the cancellation form / rights information that they should have given to the consumer
                              I think you are probably right there PT

Comment

Originally posted by Joanna C View Post
                                I think you are probably right there PT
                                Cheers Jo, its often overlooked by traders a bit like the 10A OFT statement in Default notices and a very dangerous thing to overlook

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X