• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What do I do - any ideas? 10 days to make a decision

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do - any ideas? 10 days to make a decision

I had an severe RTA May 2015. My motor insurers referred me to Cogent Law who then 6 months later went bust and the claim was picked up by Carpenters Law. The other party has admitted full liability and made an offer of £75k. I have 10 days to accept or not.

All sounds clear cut until you add in this:
    - The other side have made this offer without having any medical evidence. I had to go see a spinal surgeon in London 6 weeks ago and his report isnt back yet.
    - As a result of the injuries I had to let my new company fold. Our turnover was £63k, it had only been going a year. I haven't worked since May 2015 and given what I do the injuries are making it pretty impossible right now. Whilst everything is healed its left me with some kind of spinal shock so my muscles in my back clamp my nerves so I get stuck and cant move. My leg goes out from under me and I have problems in my hands with clamping which again as an artisan makes like pretty impossible and then PTSD. I have asthma anyway but I broke all my ribs on one side and my asthma is worse so Im having 3-4 nebulisers a day.
    - It took 7 months for the solicitors to get a medical appointment for me. They don't let me know whats going on, they haven't asked for any details regarding my income. Ive had to threaten them twice with the Legal Ombudsman to get them to move or talk to me.

Now they just tell me I have 10 days to make a decision on this with no advice. They tell me this is the second offer they have had, something about a £50k statutory offer, but they didn't tell me about the first. They don't tell me given the circumstances - which they don't know as they don't have the reports either - if this is a good offer or a bad one. They just say well next its court and then if the judge awards me less sect 63 CPR they can take all the costs from this.

I don't know what to do. I have lost my business, my life as it was, I cant play with my 6 year old anymore. Im trying so hard and I have no faith in these guys to do the right thing. Ive tried to move solicitors but as its so far in no body wants it. I dont have anything to just go to another lawyer for a second opinion and I have 10 days!!

#desperate - doesn't even come close.
    Tags: None

Re: What do I do - any ideas? 10 days to make a decision

Hi mumisskint

Sorry to hear about this; it must be devastating for you.

If it were me, I'd seek alternative advice.
    Maybe http://lbcompare.co.uk/ or http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ would be a good starting point.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

What an awful experience for you!!

I totally agree with [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION] here.

What is your insurers view of the offer?

nem

Comment

I've no idea - they just refer me back to my Solicitors who are truly useless.

- - - Updated - - -

I have tried but no one will take the case on. Apparently the lawyers get paid in chunks and as we are this stage now I cant change as the lawyers would only get a small chunk. I cant self fund as I have nothing left. Actually maybe talking to my insurers again would be a good idea. I could desperately use the money now but I don't want to screw up the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mumisskint View Post
          I've no idea - they just refer me back to my Solicitors who are truly useless.
          Hi,

The insurers need a swift kick up the arse I think, they it seems instructed the solicitors originally therefore they are the insurers " agent " in this.

My thinking is a Formal Complaint to the CEO of the insurers asap , spelling out exactly what you expect from them and the solicitors.

From what you have told us £75K is not nearly enough to keep you/look after you even for the immediate future.

nem

Comment

Another situation where lawyers justify high fees for doing bugger all.

How would this go down in local/ national press.

"Mum's fight to get proper compensation for life changing injuries , solicitors and insurers drag their heels" !!

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X